ANSYS static structural help

In summary, to simulate your 10 mm imbus key with rigidity and strength criteria, you will need to use FEA software, model the key, apply appropriate boundary conditions and loads, and set up criteria for rigidity and strength.
wannab.phd
Static structural simulation with rigidity and strength criterias

I have a 10 mm imbus key which is constrained on the shorter end, while there's a force on the longer end simulating ccw rotation (i.e. "unscrewing"). I have no problem setting the force and simulating deformation and stress. But I have to turn the simulation so that I set the position of the force and simulate the magnitude of the force, so that the deformation of the far end is max 1 mm and the maximum stress is 1.25 times lower than max strength of material. The simulation has to converge to the 4th decimal.

If anyone knows how to do that or can redirect me to a tutorial, I'd me grateful. I tried the youtube tutorials, but they keep showing me simulations with known loads, what I already know. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
This type of structural simulation with rigidity and strength criteria can be achieved using Finite Element Analysis (FEA) software. FEA is a numerical method for solving problems of engineering and mathematical physics. It is used for simulating the behavior of structures under various loads, including static, dynamic, thermal, and others. FEA can also be used to optimize the design of structures by minimizing the material used and maximizing the strength of the structure. To simulate your 10 mm imbus key, you will need to model the geometry of the key in the FEA software and apply the appropriate boundary conditions and loads. You will then need to set up the necessary criteria for rigidity and strength, such as maximum deformation and maximum stress, and solve the problem. Once the simulation is completed, you can view the results to see if the maximum deformation and stress are within the acceptable limits. If you are unfamiliar with FEA, there are many tutorials available online that can walk you through the process of setting up and running a structural simulation. Additionally, there are many software packages available that offer a range of tools and features to help you design and analyze your structures.

1. What is ANSYS Static Structural?

ANSYS Static Structural is a software tool used for structural analysis and simulation. It is part of the ANSYS suite of engineering simulation software and is used to analyze the behavior of structures under various loads and boundary conditions.

2. How does ANSYS Static Structural work?

ANSYS Static Structural uses the finite element method (FEM) to discretize a structure into smaller elements and solve the governing equations for each element. These solutions are then combined to obtain the overall behavior of the structure.

3. What types of problems can ANSYS Static Structural solve?

ANSYS Static Structural can solve a wide range of structural problems, including linear and nonlinear static analysis, modal analysis, buckling analysis, and fatigue analysis. It can also handle complex geometries and material properties.

4. What are the benefits of using ANSYS Static Structural?

The benefits of using ANSYS Static Structural include its robust and accurate analysis capabilities, its ability to handle complex geometries and material properties, its user-friendly interface, and its integration with other ANSYS software for multiphysics simulations.

5. Can ANSYS Static Structural be used for real-world applications?

Yes, ANSYS Static Structural is widely used in many industries, including aerospace, automotive, civil engineering, and biomedical engineering. It has been extensively validated and is trusted by engineers for its accurate predictions and simulations of real-world scenarios.