Converting a screw's linear speed to rotational

In summary, to find the RPM of a screw that moves a frictionless ball bearing at 0.3 m/sec, you need to know the pitch of the screw thread. The formula to calculate RPM is pi x mean diameter of the screw x rotations per minute / 60000. The pitch is the distance the nut will move if the screw rotates once. To find the RPM, you can use the formula 4mm x RPS = 300mm, where RPS is revolutions per second. The resulting RPS can be multiplied by 60 to get the RPM.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Suppose I have a screw that makes some sort of frictionless ball bearing move at 0.3 m/sec

That means that to find the RPM of the screw I do

pi x mean diameter of the screw x rotation per minutes / 60000

and I get the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to know the pitch of the screw thread. eg how many turns per meter.

If the thread has a very coarse pitch the ball will move a long way for each revolution. If the thread has a very fine pitch it will move only a short distance for each revolution.

EDIT: I assume by "linear speed" you mean the speed along the threaded rod parallel to it's axis not the velocity around the rod? Perhaps I misunderstand what you mean?

By linear speed I do mean axial speed, yes.

I know the pitch (it's 4mm)

I just can't find the formula that relates it to rotational speed, taking the axial speed of the nut into consideration

The pitch is the distance the nut will move if the screw rotates once.

So you can work out how many times it rotates for the nut to travel 300 mm.

This gives revs per second, so you can work out how many revs per minute that is.

4mm x RPS = 300mm
RPS = 75
RPM = 75 x 60 = 4500 [RPM]

Is that right?

Femme_physics said:
4mm x RPS = 300mm
RPS = 75
RPM = 75 x 60 = 4500 [RPM]

Is that right?

4500 RPM looks good.

Thank you all :-)

1. How do you calculate the linear speed of a screw?

The linear speed of a screw can be calculated by dividing the rotational speed (in revolutions per minute) by the circumference of the screw.

2. What is the formula for converting linear speed to rotational?

The formula for converting linear speed to rotational is: rotational speed = linear speed / circumference.

3. What is the unit of measurement for linear speed in screw conversions?

The unit of measurement for linear speed in screw conversions is typically meters per second (m/s).

4. How does the pitch of a screw affect the conversion of linear speed to rotational?

The pitch of a screw, which is the distance between each thread, directly affects the conversion of linear speed to rotational. A screw with a smaller pitch will have a higher rotational speed for the same linear speed compared to a screw with a larger pitch.

5. Are there any online calculators available for converting linear speed to rotational?

Yes, there are many online calculators available for converting linear speed to rotational. Some calculators may also include the option to convert between different units of measurement.