Solving Length Measurement in Homework Problem

In summary, the problem asks for the force the 6-foot-long steam pipe exerts on the two turbines when it reaches a temperature of 275 degrees Fahrenheit. The equation is given as: δT = 6.6(10-6)*(205°F)*(36 in.), where δT is the change in temperature, 205°F is the temperature of the steam, and 36 in. is the length of the pipe.
aaronfue

Homework Statement

I am having a hard time understanding the length measurement in the problem. We went over this example in class and the length, L, was something I didn't realize until now.

Question:
A 6-ft-long steam pipe is made of A-36 steel with σ=40 ksi (yield stress). It is connected directly to two turbines A and B as shown. The pipe has an outer diameter of 4 in. and a wall thickness of 0.25 in. The connection was made at T = 70°F. If the turbines’ points of attachment are assumed to have a stiffness of determine the force the pipe exerts on the turbines when the steam and thus the pipe reach a temperature of T2 =275°F.

Homework Equations

δT = [itex]\alpha[/itex]*ΔT*L

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the equation would be: δT = 6.6(10-6)*(205°F)*(72 in.)

But in my notes, it was: δT = 6.6(10-6)*(205°F)*(36 in.)

Can someone explain why the length was 36 inches and not 72 inches? I was thinking that the length was chosen arbitrarily but I wasn't sure.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    5.5 KB · Views: 588
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to calculate the additional force imposed on the turbines by thermal expansion of the pipe, then assume that the middle of the pipe remains stationary w.r.t. the turbines. The additional length of the pipe is going to want to push both turbines off their foundations (you OP omitted the stiffness value of the turbine foundations). The amount of expansion at each end of the pipe will be proportional to the half length of the pipe, rather than the total length.

SteamKing said:
If you want to calculate the additional force imposed on the turbines by thermal expansion of the pipe, then assume that the middle of the pipe remains stationary w.r.t. the turbines. The additional length of the pipe is going to want to push both turbines off their foundations (you OP omitted the stiffness value of the turbine foundations). The amount of expansion at each end of the pipe will be proportional to the half length of the pipe, rather than the total length.

I understand now. Thanks!

1. How do I convert units of length in my homework problem?

To convert units of length, you can use conversion factors. These are ratios that relate different units of length to each other. For example, there are 12 inches in one foot, so the conversion factor for inches to feet is 1/12. Multiply your original measurement by the conversion factor to get the desired unit of length.

2. What is the difference between imperial and metric units of length?

The main difference between imperial and metric units of length is the system of measurement they are based on. Imperial units are based on the old English system, while metric units are based on the decimal system. This means that imperial units, such as inches and feet, are not easily divisible by 10 like metric units, such as centimeters and meters.

3. How do I round my length measurements in my homework problem?

The general rule for rounding length measurements is to round to the nearest unit of measurement specified in the problem. For example, if the problem asks for the length in centimeters, round to the nearest centimeter. If the measurement falls exactly between two units, round up to the nearest unit.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve length measurement problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve length measurement problems. However, it is important to make sure that you are using the correct units and conversion factors in your calculations. Also, be sure to round your final answer to the appropriate number of significant figures.

5. What should I do if I am given a length measurement in scientific notation?

If you are given a length measurement in scientific notation, you can convert it to decimal form by moving the decimal point to the left or right based on the exponent given. For example, if the measurement is 2.5 x 10^3 meters, you would move the decimal point three places to the right to get 2500 meters.