What is the concept behind solving this senior school certificate math question?

• Thread starter mathelord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the conversation discusses a math question about three guards blowing whistles at different intervals and when they will blow together again. The answer involves finding the least common multiple and understanding the principles of arithmetic.
mathelord
I just wrote my senior school certificate exam ,but could not solve one of the maths questions .the question is as follows
3 night quard a,b,c blow their their whistle at intervals 8,15,and 18 minutes respectively.if they blow together at 11.00 p.m,when next are they expected to blow together

Mathematics news on Phys.org
8= 2*2*2, 15= 3*5, and 18= 2*3*3. The least common multiple of those is
2*2*2*3*3*5= 360 which is 6*60 or 6 hours. They will all blow their whistles together again at 11+ 6 hours or 5:00 a.m.

I don't not get it ,on wat principle of maths or wat branch is this on

Lowest common multiples and greatest common factors.

The "branch of mathematics" is arithmetic!

mathelord said:
I don't not get it ,on wat principle of maths or wat branch is this on

Yes it's just a lowest common multiple question. Basically you need to have every prime factor from each number repeated to the maximum power that it appears in any of the individual numbers.

1. What is the purpose of "An exam question"?

"An exam question" is designed to assess a student's knowledge and understanding of a particular subject or topic. It typically requires the student to demonstrate their critical thinking and problem-solving skills by providing a written response.

2. How can I prepare for "An exam question"?

To prepare for "An exam question", it is important to review and understand all relevant material covered in class or in the course materials. Practice answering similar questions and use study techniques such as creating flashcards or summarizing key concepts to reinforce your understanding.

3. Are there any tips for answering "An exam question" effectively?

Yes, some tips for answering "An exam question" effectively include carefully reading and understanding the question, planning your answer before writing, using evidence and examples to support your arguments, and checking for spelling and grammar errors before submitting your response.

4. How much time should I spend on "An exam question"?

The amount of time you should spend on "An exam question" may vary depending on the length and complexity of the question. It is important to pace yourself and allocate enough time to fully answer the question, while also leaving enough time to review and revise your answer if needed.

5. Can I use outside resources to answer "An exam question"?

This may depend on the specific exam guidelines set by the instructor. In most cases, "An exam question" is meant to test your own understanding of the material, so it is best to rely on your own knowledge and notes. However, if allowed, you may use outside resources to support your answer, as long as you properly cite them.