Choosing a Career Path Before College

In summary, the conversation revolves around the individual's dilemma in choosing a career path and considering a medical or dentistry degree, despite not being interested in either field. They express a desire to retire early like their dentist, but also mention their interest in graphic design. The other person advises them to choose something they truly enjoy, rather than focusing on the potential financial benefits. They also suggest exploring various options and not feeling pressured to make a decision before entering college.
kevinlikesphysics
ok i don't know what to choose for a career and collage is getting closer. I was either thinking to just get a medical degree or denistry degree but i hate both of them but i would love to retire at 45 like my dentist but what I am really interested in is graphic design so i was thinking of the art institutes but i don't really know what to do anyone have adive or sugestions

Physics news on Phys.org
kevinlikesphysics said:
I was either thinking to just get a medical degree or denistry degree but i hate both of them

That bold part really says it all. Pick something you *want* to do. No amount of money is worth being miserable for the rest of your life. Quite a few doctors would tell you the same thing. :smile: Pick something you like and pursue it. If you don't know what that is, no problem. That's normal. Just try some things out until something really catches your attention.

Go to a university that offers all of these as choices. You don't have to declare your major or the rest of your life before you enter college. I know it feels that way sometimes, with everyone telling you how you have to go to college and you have to fill out all these applications, etc. The vast majority of people change their major in college (for many reasons). So pick a good school that offers majors in all your interests and if you decide incorrectly you can change.
Good luck.
Cheers,
Ryan

If you find something you love to do you won't want to retire at 45 you'll want to keep doing it! :)

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a career path before college?

When choosing a career path before college, it is important to consider your interests, skills, values, and future goals. You should also research the job market and potential salary for your desired career, as well as the educational requirements and opportunities for growth and advancement.

2. Should I choose a career based on salary or passion?

This ultimately depends on your personal priorities and values. Some people prioritize job satisfaction and passion over salary, while others prioritize financial stability. It's important to find a balance and consider the long-term implications of your career choice, as well as the potential for growth and advancement.

3. Is it necessary to have a specific career path in mind before college?

No, it is not necessary to have a specific career path in mind before college. Many students enter college undecided and explore different subjects and career options before choosing a major. It's important to keep an open mind and take advantage of resources such as career counseling and internships to help guide your decision.

4. What if I change my mind about my chosen career path during college?

It is common for students to change their minds about their chosen career path during college. It's important to be flexible and open to exploring new opportunities. You can also consider changing your major or pursuing a minor in a different field. Remember, it's never too late to change your career path.

5. How can I gain experience in my desired career path before college?

There are several ways to gain experience in your desired career path before college. You can participate in internships, volunteer in related organizations, or shadow professionals in your field of interest. You can also take relevant courses or join clubs and organizations related to your desired career path.