Connecting Different Batteries in Parallel: What Happens?

So, in summary, connecting batteries of different voltages in parallel can lead to damaging the batteries and potentially causing a short circuit. It is not recommended to do so.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Stupid question time. What happens if batteries of different voltages are connected in parallel? I know, in circuit theory class, you just don't do that, because it doesn't make sense, but what happens if you actually DO it in real life?

Engineering news on Phys.org
cepheid said:
Stupid question time. What happens if batteries of different voltages are connected in parallel? I know, in circuit theory class, you just don't do that, because it doesn't make sense, but what happens if you actually DO it in real life?

Never done it, but you'd probably blow something out. You'd have a lot of current going from the higher voltage battery to the lower one.

1. What is the purpose of connecting batteries in parallel?

Connecting batteries in parallel increases the overall capacity of the battery bank. This means that the batteries can hold more energy and power for a longer period of time.

2. Can I connect different types of batteries in parallel?

No, it is not recommended to connect different types of batteries in parallel. This can cause imbalances in the battery bank and lead to uneven charging and discharging, which can decrease the overall lifespan of the batteries.

3. Will connecting batteries in parallel increase the voltage?

No, connecting batteries in parallel does not increase the voltage. The voltage remains the same as a single battery, but the overall capacity is increased.

4. Are there any safety concerns when connecting batteries in parallel?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when connecting batteries in parallel. It is important to use batteries of the same type, age, and capacity to avoid imbalances. Properly connecting and securing the batteries is also crucial to prevent short circuits and potential hazards.

5. Can I connect an unlimited number of batteries in parallel?

No, it is not recommended to connect an unlimited number of batteries in parallel. There is a limit to how many batteries can be connected in parallel, and exceeding this limit can cause imbalances and potential hazards. It is best to consult with a professional or refer to the manufacturer's recommendations for the maximum number of batteries that can be connected in parallel.