Energy variance, and pair production

In summary, the process of pair-production is frame-dependent due to the conservation of energy and momentum. However, the existence of particles should not be frame-dependent, leading to a paradox in certain scenarios. This can be resolved by taking into account the presence of another object, such as an atomic nucleus, which can contribute kinetic energy towards the creation of the pair. When working backwards from the process of electron-positron annihilation, the photons will have equal wavelengths in the center-of-mass frame, but in a frame with non-zero velocity, the wavelengths will not be equal.
Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ok, so here's a question. The energy of say photons is frame-dependent. Photons are blue-shifted or red-shifted depending on my velocity towards or away from the source. However, what happens when I apply this to pair-production? For example, if my photons are energetic enough, they may create a positron-electron pair. If my photons are NOT energetic enough they don't create the pair.

However, since the energy is frame-dependent, it would seem to suggest that whether a pair is created or not is frame-dependent. The existence of particles, however, should not be frame dependent. Paradox! Obviously my logic is faulty somewhere.

Please resolve this for me. Thanks. =)

Physics news on Phys.org
A photon all by itself cannot convert into an electron-positron pair and conserve both energy and momentum. There has to be another object in the picture, typically an atomic nucleus which is normally (almost) at rest. In a reference frame in which the photon has a small energy, the nucleus has a lot of kinetic energy which can be contributed towards creating the pair.

What if I replace the atomic nucleus with another photon? Are you saying 1 photon will be blue-shifted and one will be red-shifted or some such?

Assume this occurs as the reverse of electron-positron annihilation where two photons are generated.

Take the annihilation event and work it backwards. In the center-of-mass frame of two leptons, the photons will travel in opposite directions with equal wavelength so that momentum is conserved, as jtbell elucidated.

If the center of mass has a non zero velocity, the wavelengths will not be equal.

1. What is energy variance?

Energy variance refers to the fluctuation or variation in energy levels within a system. In physics, it is often used to describe the difference between the expected or average energy and the actual energy of a system.

2. How is energy variance calculated?

The energy variance of a system can be calculated by taking the squared difference between each energy value and the average energy, and then taking the average of these squared differences. This calculation is also known as the mean squared deviation.

3. What is pair production?

Pair production is a phenomenon in which a high-energy photon, such as a gamma ray, interacts with a nucleus or an electron and produces an electron-positron pair. This process requires a minimum amount of energy, known as the threshold energy, to create the pair.

4. What is the significance of pair production in physics?

Pair production is significant because it provides evidence for the conservation of energy and mass, as well as the existence of antimatter. It is also an important process in particle physics and is used to explain certain phenomena, such as the decay of unstable particles.

5. Can pair production occur in a vacuum?

Yes, pair production can occur in a vacuum as long as the energy of the photon is above the threshold energy. In a vacuum, the created particle and antiparticle will quickly annihilate each other, releasing their energy in the form of two photons. This process can be observed in experiments, such as in particle accelerators.