Lorentz Transformations: 2 Formulas for Time (t)

In summary, depending on where one goes to understand the Lorentz transformations, there are two different formulas for time: one for time dilation and one for calculating the time in a moving frame based on the time in a stationary frame. These formulas are different because they serve different purposes and are derived from different principles. The first formula is for time dilation and the second formula is a Lorentz transformation for the t coordinate.
len
Depending on where I go to get a good understanding of the Lorentz transformations, I run into two formulas for time (t):

[tex]T=T_0 * \frac{1}{ \sqrt{ 1-\frac{v^2}{c^2} } }[/tex]
and
[tex]t=\left( t' + \frac{vx'}{c^2} \right) * \frac{1}{ \sqrt{ 1-\frac{v^2}{c^2} } }[/tex]

What is the explanation for having these two different formulas for time? If there was only one or the other, it would make sense to me but I can't understand how there can be two.

Physics news on Phys.org
len said:
Depending on where I go to get a good understanding of the Lorentz transformations, I run into two formulas for time (t):

and
[tex]t=\left( t' + \frac{vx'}{c^2} \right) * \frac{1}{ \sqrt{ 1-\frac{v^2}{c^2} } }[/tex]

What is the explanation for having these two different formulas for time? If there was only one or the other, it would make sense to me but I can't understand how there can be two.
The first one is what you get when x'=0, in other words, for an object that is at rest at x'=0.

len said:

and

The second formula is the Lorentz transformation for the ##t## coordinate. It tells you how to calculate what time will appear on a clock in the unprimed frame when a clock in the primed frame reads a particular value.

The first formula is not a Lorentz transformation at all. It's the timedilation formula that tells you how how much time will have passed in the moving frame if a given amount of time has passed in the non-moving frame.

1. What are Lorentz Transformations?

Lorentz Transformations are mathematical equations used in the theory of special relativity to describe how time and space coordinates change between two reference frames that are moving at a constant velocity relative to each other.

2. What is the significance of the 2 formulas for time in Lorentz Transformations?

The two formulas for time, t' = γ(t - vx/c^2) and t = γ(t' + vx'/c^2), represent the time dilation and time contraction effects predicted by special relativity. They allow us to calculate how time is experienced differently by observers in different reference frames.

3. How do the Lorentz Transformations affect our understanding of time?

The Lorentz Transformations demonstrate that time is relative and can be experienced differently by observers in different reference frames. It also shows that time and space are interconnected and that our perception of time can be influenced by our relative motion.

4. What is the role of the Lorentz factor in the 2 formulas for time?

The Lorentz factor, γ, is a constant that appears in both formulas for time and is dependent on the relative velocity between the two reference frames. It is used to account for the time dilation and contraction effects and ensures that the equations are consistent with the principles of special relativity.

5. Can the Lorentz Transformations be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, the Lorentz Transformations have practical applications in various fields, such as astrophysics, particle physics, and GPS technology. They are also used in everyday life, for example, in correcting for time differences between satellites and ground-based receivers in GPS devices.