EM Tensor & GR: Does Space Curvature Impact EM Field?

In summary: So, depending on the curvature of the base manifold, the connection in the fiber bundle may change, which in turn affects the EM field.In summary, the energy of the EM tensor goes into the stress-energy tensor of GR equations, causing the EM field to curve space. However, space curvature does not directly impact the EM field; rather, it affects the field equations and can modify the EM field through the change in the connection of the fiber bundle. This can be seen in Yang-Mills theory, where the EM tensor is defined as the connection in a fiber bundle with a Lie group, and the base manifold's changing curvature can alter the connection and thus the EM field.
kroni
Hello,

I am reading a book about General relativity, i understand that energy of the EM tensor go in the stress- energy tensor of GR equations. SO, EM field curve space. But i don't understand if space curvature impact EM field ? Is variation of space curvature can create EM field ?

Clément

Physics news on Phys.org
kroni said:
Hello,

I am reading a book about General relativity, i understand that energy of the EM tensor go in the stress- energy tensor of GR equations. SO, EM field curve space. But i don't understand if space curvature impact EM field ? Is variation of space curvature can create EM field\?
No. The gravitational field is created by virtue of the EM field's energy density which has mass density. It's not the other way around though. I.e. just because something has something has mass density it doesn't mean that it has an EM field.

If i make no mistake, In yang mills theory, EM tensor is define as the connection in a fiber bundle with S1 Lie group, it seems logic to me that if base manifold has a changing curvature, the connection in the fiber bundle may change. So, space curvature might modify EM field. I will try to put this in equation to see where is my problem.

Yes spacetime curvature affects the EM fields present but that doesn't change what Mike said. You need a source of charges to generate the EM field in the first place for spacetime curvature to affect. See Einstein-Maxwell equations.

kroni said:
If i make no mistake, In yang mills theory, EM tensor is define as the connection in a fiber bundle with S1 Lie group, it seems logic to me that if base manifold has a changing curvature, the connection in the fiber bundle may change. So, space curvature might modify EM field. I will try to put this in equation to see where is my problem.

Yes, you are correct, the existence of space(time) curvature modifies the way the field looks like, simply because the PDE's for the field equations get extra terms, they are no longer the linear nicely-looking Maxwell Equations anymore. In the Y-M, we call them gauge potential (connection) and gauge field (curvature of the connection).

1. What is an EM Tensor and how is it related to GR?

An EM Tensor is a mathematical representation of the electromagnetic field, which describes the interaction between electric and magnetic fields. It is related to GR (General Relativity) through Einstein's field equations, which show how the curvature of space-time is affected by the presence of energy and matter, including electromagnetic fields.

2. How does space curvature impact the strength and direction of an EM field?

The curvature of space-time can affect the strength and direction of an EM field by altering the path of the field lines. In the presence of a massive object, the space-time around it is curved, causing the EM field lines to bend and change direction. This can also impact the strength of the field, as it may be either amplified or weakened by the curvature.

3. Can the strength of an EM field impact the curvature of space?

Yes, the strength of an EM field can impact the curvature of space. According to Einstein's equations, energy and matter can cause space-time to curve, and since electromagnetic fields contain energy, they can contribute to the overall curvature of space-time.

4. Are there any observable effects of space curvature on EM fields?

Yes, there are several observable effects of space curvature on EM fields. One example is gravitational lensing, where the curvature of space-time bends light and can create distorted images of distant objects. In addition, the motion of charged particles in a curved space can also create electromagnetic radiation, known as synchrotron radiation.

5. How does the concept of space curvature impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of space curvature is essential in understanding the structure and behavior of the universe. It helps explain the effects of gravity, such as the motions of planets and galaxies, and plays a crucial role in cosmology, where it is used to describe the expansion of the universe and the formation of large-scale structures. It also provides a framework for understanding the relationship between classical physics (such as electromagnetism) and the effects of gravity on a larger scale.