Is this arc length?

by autodidude
Tags: length
autodidude
Mar11-13, 01:53 PM
P: 333
Could someone please explain why PQ in the diagram below is rΔθ? Isn't rΔθ arc length?

The best reason I can think of is that it's only an approximation for when the angle is very small, so PQ≈arclength=rΔθ. Not 100% sure though.

The diagram is from the first volume of the Feynman lectures in 18-3, in the section where he talks about rotation of rigid bodies.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Math modeling handbook now available
Hyperbolic homogeneous polynomials, oh my!
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
mfb
Mar11-13, 02:08 PM
Mentor
P: 10,853
It is an approximation for small ##\Delta \theta##, right. I would expect that it is used in a differential somewhere, where the approximation gets exact.
autodidude
Mar11-13, 02:14 PM
P: 333
Thanks mfb

rcgldr
Mar11-13, 05:35 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,931

Is this arc length?

Start with the actual distance:

PQ = sqrt(Δr2 + (r sin(Δθ))2)

If this is circular motion, then Δr = 0, and as Δθ -> 0, then sin(Δθ) -> Δθ, and you end up with lim Δθ -> 0 of sqrt((r sin(Δθ))2) -> sqrt((r Δθ)2) -> r Δθ.

If r is some function of θ, then as long as Δr approaches zero more rapidly than r sin(Δθ), then lim Δθ -> 0 of f(Δr, r sin(Δθ)) -> f(0, r sin(Δθ)).

Register to reply