Are physicists/physics lovers also cat lovers?

• Thread starter dst
  • Start date
In summary, the vote seems to be leaning towards cats. Dog lovers may want to try and votethis conversation In summary, the vote seems to be leaning towards cats. Dog lovers may want to try and vote for the option that is not cats.

If you're a physicist -

• I own a cat/prefer them over all

Votes: 30 69.8%
  • I cant stand cats

Votes: 13 30.2%

• Total voters
dst
Vote!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
dst said:
Vote!:smile:

Woof! Grrrrrrrr no! :smile:

There is an air of feline dominance about PF. It's triggering my e-hair allergy.

Grilled, then baked.

I love both but I have a dog at the moment, Schrödinger's Cat died. :frown:

It wasn't in a freak atomic decay accident either.

No one ever puts a either option on these polls, it's like it's physically impossible to like them both equally. Dog or cat, yin and yang, up or down. :smile:

Last edited:
I was in love with a cat for a while, but our relationship turned out to be a failure. Since then, I prefer rabbits, they are better listeners. Also probably because I have a better digestion of carrots than mice.

I hate cats.

physicists need much time to read and discuss. they need pets which can take care of themselves. cats often do. it looks logical they like cats :wink:

Not crazy for cats...or any pets, really.

I'm not allowed to vote because I'm not a physicist? :frown: Might have helped to compare the physicists to non-physicists if you really wanted to see if there was a preferential bias toward cat-lovership among physicists or just that they are the same as the rest of the population.

I don't like cats. Dogs all the way!

I don't like things that cost a lot of money to live with and can't communicate very well.

For practical reason we are down to cats only, but we have had dogs, goats, sheep, a horse, and a rabbit. We love all animals.

Oh yes, as for animals that come to visit in the house or office: Skunks, and a coon. Have a nutria living in the creek too. And of course we have the deer and the turkeys.
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/8550/skunk2vo3.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Mk said:
I don't like things that cost a lot of money to live with and can't communicate very well.

So no children either?

No car either?

Moonbear said:
I'm not allowed to vote because I'm not a physicist? :frown: Might have helped to compare the physicists to non-physicists if you really wanted to see if there was a preferential bias toward cat-lovership among physicists or just that they are the same as the rest of the population.

I was going to have 4 options but I couldn't do it without making it look cheesy.

Just vote for Athe's sake, if you're on this forum then chances are you like physics.

Ivan Seeking said:
For practical reason we are down to cats only, but we have had dogs, goats, sheep, a horse, and a rabbit. We love all animals.

Oh yes, as for animals that come to visit in the house or office: Skunks, and a coon. Have a nutria living in the creek too. And of course we have the deer and the turkeys.
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/8550/skunk2vo3.jpg [Broken]
No[/URL] antelope?

Please post the jumping goats again! PLEASE?

To me, dogs are like Yankees; as a species, they suck, but it's rarely that I meet an individual that I don't like. I just don't want one living with me.
I love cats, but I would also like a pet skunk just for the 'scaring away Jehovah's Witnesses' aspect. :devil:
Like Moonbear, I couldn't actually vote because I'm not a physicist.

edit: Ok, Dst... given your response to Moonbear, I've cast my vote.

Last edited:
Evo said:
No antelope?

No, but from time to time we have a huge bull!

Please post the jumping goats again! PLEASE?

:biggrin: We loved having the goats. They were fun. In the bottom shot the babies were only a few minutes old.

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/9841/babygoatsfl1.jpg [Broken]

What the hell is that top photo, Ivan? Bun trying to commit suicide?

Danger said:
What the hell is that top photo, Ivan? Bun trying to commit suicide?

Heck no, that's Spud having a blast. I built the dog/goat house so that the animals could lay on top. Spud and Tater loved to run to the top, leap off, and then run around for another leap, endlessly!

I'm a physicist, and the only time I like cats is for breakfast.

I hate cats, but i took the first choice

marlon

Moonbear said:

Neither am I technically, I'm still a student. Mind you I couldn't vote anyway.

http://www.ananova.com/images/web/1299329.jpg [Broken]
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2809392.html [Broken]

That looks truly fake. Ananova is the WORST site for anything; it's like TheOnion except they don't actually admit to being satirical.

Either way it looks like felines are winning.

Mk said:

Then don't ever live with a woman.

I wanted to say that, but didn't want to risk it. Thanks for taking a bullet for me. :)

humanino said:
I was in love with a cat for a while, but our relationship turned out to be a failure. Since then, I prefer rabbits, they are better listeners. Also probably because I have a better digestion of carrots than mice.

Aww. Did it go something like this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iQiY6xvW8SQ

I love felines :!) ! But I love my doggies too.

We ued to have goats, and they found out how to get up on top of the barn. They're incredibly agile and sure-footed. Used to crack me up to bring friends over and watch them freak out about the goats..."OH MY GOD, YOUR GOATS ARE ON THE BARN !"

I loved having goats!

But, as others have posted, I'm not a physicist. I have a BS in physics, but in my mind to earn the label 'physicist' takes a PhD, several post-docs, many papers published...it's quite an arduous path.

Indeed Lisa at least a Fellowship I think. Otherwise your just a physics graduate or wannabe scientist I suppose.

And the cats are in a commanding lead!
Lucy is happier than a pig in ****, since, as most of you know, she does my typing for me.
Actually, it was upon her insistence that I voted.

Danger said:
And the cats are in a commanding lead!
Lucy is happier than a pig in ****, since, as most of you know, she does my typing for me.
Actually, it was upon her insistence that I voted.

Is that a side effect of toxiplasmawhat are youmacallit?

I hate Schrodinger's cat because it always make me confuse

I'm lost without my dogs and would not give up my cats

1. Are physicists/physics lovers also cat lovers?

Yes, many physicists and physics lovers also happen to be cat lovers. There is no specific correlation between being a physicist and being a cat lover, but many people in the scientific community have a love for animals and cats in particular.

2. Do cats have any relation to physics?

There is no direct relation between cats and physics, but some physicists have studied the physics behind cat behavior and movement. Additionally, cats have been used in experiments to study topics such as quantum mechanics and chaos theory.

3. Are there any famous physicists who were also cat lovers?

Yes, there are many famous physicists who were also cat lovers. Some notable examples include Erwin Schrödinger, who famously proposed the "Schrödinger's cat" thought experiment, and Richard Feynman, who had a beloved cat named Fuzzball.

4. How do cats and physics intersect in popular culture?

Cats and physics have been featured in popular culture together in various ways. For example, the famous cartoon character Schrödinger's cat is a play on the thought experiment by the same name. Additionally, many physics memes and jokes involve cats.

5. Are there any physics concepts that can be applied to understanding cats?

Yes, there are some physics concepts that can be applied to understanding cats. For example, the principles of momentum and energy conservation can help explain how cats are able to land on their feet when falling. The concept of elasticity can also be used to understand how cats are able to squeeze through small spaces.