What are the copyright regulations for copying problems from textbooks?

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary: Unlike everything else in existence: math problems are not protected by copyright. This is because math problems are seen as ideas, not expressions of an author's creative work. This means that you are allowed to copy problems from textbooks for educational purposes, without fear of breaking the law. However, if you plan on making money from your work, you will need to get permission from the copyright holder.In summary, it is not illegal to copy problems from textbooks, as long as you are not copying more than a quarter of an article or more than a chapter from a book. You are allowed to paraphrase questions, but do not try to make the problem new.
ehrenfest
I always feel kind of scared that I am violating a copyright law when I copy problems from textbooks in posts even though I always try to paraphrase. However, this is not really possible when it comes to equations and is not really feasible with the more intricate problems sometimes.

Does anyone know what the copyright regulations are for problems in textbooks? Is it illegal to copy problems verbatim?

Is it illegal to just scan the problem and attach it to your post instead of typesetting all of that LaTeX?

Physics news on Phys.org
......no

Most of the problems in physics textbooks are about 100 years old (at least in the mechanics chapters). The same problems are recreated over and over. Even the new ones that try to be "fresh" (Jimmy downloads 8 pirated songs into his iPod, how many coulombs...) are the same old problems with new nouns.

Chi Meson said:
Jimmy downloads 8 pirated songs into his iPod, how many coulombs...

:rofl::rofl: I have seen so many questions that are like that. Trying to make 100 year old problems new and cool just doesn't work...:rolleyes:

Don't worry about it. Seriously. You only get in trouble with copy write once you copy like... over 1/4 of an article or more than a chapter in a book. And unless your making profit, no one's really going to hunt you down about it either. A librarian would be the person to ask for details though.

Oh man, I break the law when I copy math questions for later refrence?

no0o0o0o0...is this really a serious question!?

Unlike everything else in existence:

math cannot be copyrighted.
(although according to US law I'm pretty sure it is, but no body cares)

yeah, the RIAA isn't so much in business with anyone who writes textbooks. you shouldn't worry about getting into any type of legal trouble at all because of copy writing textbooks.

some mentors here might give you s**t, but i don't think so.

concrete mathematics by graham/knuth/patashnik is the only book i know of that gives the source of the problems. they noted that books of chess problems are really uptight about where they get their problems from & carried over the diea to their math text. like chi meson said, a lot of the problems in books are 100 years old or more, and nobody seems to care where they came from originally. (except graham/knuth/patashnik) actually I've wondered where problems came from, and what the original solver was working on at the time, since math texts don't usually relate the either the problem or solution to real life which is almost always where problems come from.

Chi Meson said:
Jimmy downloads 8 pirated songs into his iPod, how many coulombs...
:rofl: I'm in my chair DYING of laughter :rofl:

ehrenfest said:
I always feel kind of scared that I am violating a copyright law when I copy problems from textbooks in posts even though I always try to paraphrase. However, this is not really possible when it comes to equations and is not really feasible with the more intricate problems sometimes.

Does anyone know what the copyright regulations are for problems in textbooks? Is it illegal to copy problems verbatim?

Is it illegal to just scan the problem and attach it to your post instead of typesetting all of that LaTeX?
In the copyright law, there is language for the provision of 'fair use'. Copying a problem is 'fair use'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

TITLE 17 > CHAPTER 1 > § 107 Prev | Next
§ 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00000107----000-.html

Last edited by a moderator:
ehrenfest said:
I always feel kind of scared that I am violating a copyright law when I copy problems from textbooks in posts even though I always try to paraphrase.
DO NOT try to paraphrase a question. It is not a copyright violation to write down a complete question verbatim from a text. Paraphrasing often leads to miscommunication.

No, it is not illegal. Copying individual questions is definitely considered fair use.

Copying a problem from a book you own in order to ask for help on your homework to better learn a subject falls within the category of educational fair use, as has been mentioned above.

What would NOT be allowed is someone asking for a complete set of homework questions copied for them, or downloading entire chapters of a textbook that have been scanned into a file online, in order to avoid buying the textbook themselves.

We also have no problem if you wish to add to your homework question a citation for the textbook you are using, such as the authors/editors, title and edition, and chapter the question comes from. We don't require this, and it's not a substitute for writing out the question since not everyone helping with homework owns every textbook ever published, but for those who are familiar with the book, it might help them know what content you have covered so far to know not to go over your head with help. And the book publishers probably won't mind having their textbooks plugged.

i been looking for this thread! arghhh finally.

1. How can I avoid being accused of plagiarism when copying problems from books?

It is important to properly cite the source of the problem and give credit to the author. You can also rephrase the problem in your own words or add your own unique twist to it.

2. Is it ethical to copy problems from books for my own learning?

Copying problems from books for your own learning can be considered ethical as long as you are not claiming the work as your own. It is important to use the problems as practice and to reference the original source.

3. Can I use copied problems in my assignments or tests?

It is best to avoid using copied problems in your assignments or tests, as this can be seen as cheating. It is important to solve problems on your own to demonstrate your understanding of the material.

4. Are there any legal implications for copying problems from books?

As long as you are not claiming the work as your own and are properly citing the source, there should be no legal implications for copying problems from books. However, it is always best to check the copyright laws for the specific book or material.

5. How can I effectively use copied problems for my learning?

To effectively use copied problems for your learning, it is important to understand the steps and concepts involved in solving the problem. You can also try solving the problem on your own first and then use the copied problem as a reference to check your work.