Will graduate courses taken as undergrad transfer to a PHD program?

In summary: So in the end it might be to your advantage to take as many of the classes as possible before entering the program. In summary, it is recommended to take graduate classes before entering a PHD program in order to familiarize oneself with the material. However, it is important to check with the specific PHD program about their transfer credit policies as some may not accept transfer credits or require them to be taken with graduate status. It is also beneficial to take placement exams to potentially test out of certain classes. Overall, taking graduate classes can be advantageous in preparing for a PHD program and may even improve academic CVs.
1230wc
I can graduate a semester early or stay and take some grad classes.
In the later scenario I want to transfer them to a PHD program (in statistics).
However some PHD programs say transfer credits must be taken with graduate status; or they don't accept transfer credits period.

In that case, what happens if I still place out of a core class?
Do I have to take a more advanced class in its place usually?
How are previous grad classes handled in PHD programs in general?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
1230wc said:
However some PHD programs say transfer credits must be taken with graduate status; or they don't accept transfer credits period.
In that case, what happens if I still place out of a core class?
What do you mean by "place out"? If you take a placement exam and demonstrate that you don't need to take a certain class (as well as having taken a similar class in undergrad), your institution will probably work with you in such a situation.

Do I have to take a more advanced class in its place usually?
If you can't test out, you might need to take your graduate institution's equivalent. Depends on the school.

If they are taken as credit towards an undergraduate degree they are generally not counted towards a graduate degree.

So is it worth it to take grad courses for a semester rather than graduating early, not knowing if they will transfer?
Money isn't a huge issue for me.
Thanks.

You should be asking the question whether it's something you would want to learn where you are.

you need to ask the school you are going to about their transfer policies...I had an MS be before going to a different school for my PhD, they allowed credit from only 2 classes to be transferred and if they didn't like the previous grades or didn't have a corresponding course, they would not allow it.

Vanadium 50 said:
You should be asking the question whether it's something you would want to learn where you are.

I do really want to learn the material in the grad classes.
I just don't want to take additional coursework to satisfy the PHD requirements in case they don't transfer.

1230wc said:
I do really want to learn the material in the grad classes.
I just don't want to take additional coursework to satisfy the PHD requirements in case they don't transfer.

So you want to get a PhD and devote the next 5-6 years of your life to Statistics, but you don't want to risk going above and beyond for an extra semester or two on the grounds that it might not "count" ? Perhaps you should re-think your academic goals. Even if they don't count for credit you should be able to get something out of it.

IMO taking classes is very inefficient.
I'd much go through a textbook and its exercises on my own rather than having to worry about homeworks/tests.

Do most biostats and stats PHD programs allow you test out of classes? That would be ideal...

IMO taking classes is very inefficient.
I'd much go through a textbook and its exercises on my own rather than having to worry about homeworks/tests.

You could just skip them (and just ask fellow grad students for things the prof mentioned that aren't in the textbook). And I don't think grades in graduate school matter that much at all, as long as you pass them.

1230wc said:
I can graduate a semester early or stay and take some grad classes.
In the later scenario I want to transfer them to a PHD program (in statistics).

Generally the answer is no. However, you'll find it much, much easier to get through a class when you've taken it before.

They aren't. Ph.D. programs usually require you to go through a set of classes. However, it's really to your advantage to have taken the class before because everything should be familiar.

I'd say take the classes. It's good for you.

It'll probably add something positive to your academic CV as well, so it couldn't hurt (unless you do poorly of course, but you shouldn't if you're planning on graduate school).

fss said:
What do you mean by "place out"? If you take a placement exam and demonstrate that you don't need to take a certain class (as well as having taken a similar class in undergrad), your institution will probably work with you in such a situation.
*shrugs* It also depends on how the school handles quals. In my dept. even the masters students who've already taken the core classes can't get out of taking them again because the profs who teach the class write that section of the quals. Other depts. don't require a set list of courses, so they're probably more flexible on credit. This is so insanely department specific that you've got to call up the places you plan to apply to.

I'd say take the classes. It's good for you.
I'll agree. I asked a prof about this and he said that the people who do the best in the classes are often the ones with master's degrees in the fieled and that's in large part because they've already seen the material.

1. Will the credits from my graduate courses taken as an undergraduate transfer to a PHD program?

It depends on the specific PHD program and university. Some PHD programs may accept graduate credits earned as an undergraduate, while others may not. It's important to check with the specific program you are interested in to determine their transfer credit policies.

2. Do I need to have a certain grade or GPA in my graduate courses for them to transfer to a PHD program?

Again, this varies by program. Some PHD programs may have a minimum grade or GPA requirement for transfer credits, while others may not. It's best to check with the program directly to determine their specific requirements.

3. Can I transfer graduate courses from one university to a PHD program at a different university?

This will depend on the policies of the PHD program you are interested in. Some programs may accept transfer credits from other universities, while others may not. It's important to check with the specific program to determine their transfer credit policies.

4. How many graduate credits can I transfer to a PHD program?

The maximum number of credits that can be transferred to a PHD program will vary by program and university. Some programs may have a limit on the number of credits that can be transferred, while others may not have a limit. It's best to check with the specific program to determine their transfer credit policies.

5. Will transferring graduate credits from my undergraduate degree reduce the length of my PHD program?

This will depend on the specific PHD program and university. While some programs may allow transfer credits to count towards degree requirements, others may not. It's important to check with the specific program to determine how transfer credits may affect the length of your PHD program.