Would Greater Electricity Affect a Gravitational Field?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between electricity and gravitational fields. It is concluded that increasing the electric current does not increase the gravitational field, as mass is the main factor in creating a gravitational field. The concept of energy density and its relationship to mass is also discussed. The possibility of creating mass to increase the gravitational field is addressed, with the consensus being that it is not a feasible solution. The topic of photons and their potential mass and gravitational fields is also briefly touched upon.
Randomguy96
So I'm sitting here, reading about different ways to create gravitational fields as well as messing around with random thoughts and ideas, and this question comes to mind: Would greater electricity affect a gravitational field created by an electromagnet? Anyone who knows? I'd really like to know, seeing as how i can't figure out myself, even if my own guess would be yes.

Physics news on Phys.org

More Amps? Yes, gravity is proportional to energy density, so the more energy you have in some volume the stronger the gravitational force is.

Mass creates gravitational fields, not electric charge. Increasing the electric current through an electromagnet will increase the magnetic field, but do nothing to the gravitational field. To increase the gravitational field produced by an object, you would increase its mass. The force of gravity and the electromagnetic force are independent according to our current understanding.

chrisbaird said:
Mass creates gravitational fields, not electric charge. Increasing the electric current through an electromagnet will increase the magnetic field, but do nothing to the gravitational field. To increase the gravitational field produced by an object, you would increase its mass. The force of gravity and the electromagnetic force are independent according to our current understanding.

Increasing current increases energy which is equivalent to mass.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=515899

Bloodthunder said:
Increasing a current does not increase mass of wire. Otherwise, superconductors would be nearly infinite in mass.

It increases the energy density.

Bloodthunder said:
Increasing a current does not increase mass of wire. Otherwise, superconductors would be nearly infinite in mass.

Superconductors do not have infinite current, they have zero resistance.

Randomguy96 said:
So I'm sitting here, reading about different ways to create gravitational fields as well as messing around with random thoughts and ideas, and this question comes to mind: Would greater electricity affect a gravitational field created by an electromagnet? Anyone who knows? I'd really like to know, seeing as how i can't figure out myself, even if my own guess would be yes.

LostConjugate said:
Increasing current increases energy which is equivalent to mass.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=515899

The implication here clearly being that if you want to increase the gravitational attraction of a wire it would be simpler just to add the required mass.

ryan_m_b said:
The implication here clearly being that if you want to increase the gravitational attraction of a wire it would be simpler just to add the required mass.

Creating mass is not so simple, but if you have some lying around sure.

LostConjugate said:
Creating mass is not so simple, but if you have some lying around sure.

I didn't mean creating mass, I meant adding mass. I.e. if the OP want's his wire to have X gravitational well then it's going to be far easier to just get mass from elsewhere and wrap it around the wire than trying to increase the energy density.

QuantumPion said:
Superconductors do not have infinite current, they have zero resistance.

Yes, I know. Critical current and all that, which is really high. Yet you don't see the weight of wire increasing.

And I still don't get what energy density of the wire has to do with anything.

Bloodthunder said:
Yes, I know. Critical current and all that, which is really high. Yet you don't see the weight of wire increasing.

And I still don't get what energy density of the wire has to do with anything.

Because e=mc2, mass and energy have the same gravitational effect.

Well, for one, you need ~90 TJ of energy to increase the mass by just 1 gram. Also, you can't just make mass appear just like that. Pair production occurs occasionally, yes, but the anti-matter, being in such close proximity to everything else, would just hit some other matter to become energy again. And energy itself has no mass to speak of, and hence provides nothing to the gravitational field.

Bloodthunder said:
Well, for one, you need ~90 TJ of energy to increase the mass by just 1 gram. Also, you can't just make mass appear just like that. Pair production occurs occasionally, yes, but the anti-matter, being in such close proximity to everything else, would just hit some other matter to become energy again. And energy itself has no mass to speak of, and hence provides nothing to the gravitational field.

Who were you responding to here?, no one is suggesting creating mass. Something does not have to have mass to have a gravitational field, photons are a good example of this.

EDIT: I retract that, I may be under a big misunderstanding. Anyone know the proper answer to this and why?

ryan_m_b said:
Who were you responding to here?, no one is suggesting creating mass. Something does not have to have mass to have a gravitational field, photons are a good example of this.

EDIT: I retract that, I may be under a big misunderstanding. Anyone know the proper answer to this and why?

Photons are a perfect example. They have mass proportional to their frequency (energy).

It is not proven that photons have any mass. While photons are affected by gravity, it is explained to be due to the curvature of space-time by massive objects (General Relativity). Another thing probably suggest photons by themselves do not have gravitational fields are that they do not attract and stick to each other. Instead, the 2 photons interact like waves that pass through each other without much effect.

I do understand that one uses the energy of a photon, convert it to mass, and then calculate the angle of deflection due to the massive object. However, this doesn't in anyway say that the photon produces any gravitational field of its own.

Bloodthunder said:
It is not proven that photons have any mass.

It is not? Have you heard of a solar sail?

LostConjugate said:
It is not? Have you heard of a solar sail?

I thought that worked through the transfer of momentum? Not because photons have mass...

Bloodthunder said:
Also, you can't just make mass appear just like that.

Ok then answer this hypothetical question. If I took 26 protons of mass 1.00727646681u (u = atomic mass units) and 30 neutrons of mass 1.008664916u and assembled them to make an iron nucleus, then how much would that iron nucleus weigh?

ryan_m_b said:
I thought that worked through the transfer of momentum? Not because photons have mass...

That is correct. Solar sails work through momentum transfer.

As for the OP, there are numerous threads about it here at PF. A search should come up with several of them.

LostConjugate said:
Photons are a perfect example. They have mass proportional to their frequency (energy).

Photons do not have mass and do not create gravitational fields. Photons have momentum but it is a field momentum p = hf/c as opposed to a mass momentum. Photons also have energy E = hf, but again it is a field energy and not a mass energy. Saying that "photons have energy, energy is the same as mass, mass creates gravity, therefore photons create gravity" is just sloppy logic that comes about from using terms loosely. Einstein's famous equation E = mc2 is actually a special case of the more general expression:

E2 = (pc)2 + (mc2)2

which states that both mass and momentum give rise to energy. Photons have no mass, so this reduces down to E = pc. It is true that photons can be converted to particles with mass that generate gravitational fields, but that requires an event. It does not happen naturally at any significant rate.

chrisbaird said:
Photons do not have mass and do not create gravitational fields. Photons have momentum but it is a field momentum p = hf/c as opposed to a mass momentum. Photons also have energy E = hf, but again it is a field energy and not a mass energy. Saying that "photons have energy, energy is the same as mass, mass creates gravity, therefore photons create gravity" is just sloppy logic that comes about from using terms loosely. Einstein's famous equation E = mc2 is actually a special case of the more general expression:

E2 = (pc)2 + (mc2)2

which states that both mass and momentum give rise to energy. Photons have no mass, so this reduces down to E = pc. It is true that photons can be converted to particles with mass that generate gravitational fields, but that requires an event. It does not happen naturally at any significant rate.

I have heard that photon's do not generate gravity. However since in general relativity you learn that gravity is proportional to the energy density matrix, wouldn't the energy density matrix of a photon be non-zero.

LostConjugate said:
I have heard that photon's do not generate gravity. However since in general relativity you learn that gravity is proportional to the energy density matrix, wouldn't the energy density matrix of a photon be non-zero.
The https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=442266" provides a good discussion about the gravity of photons. Summary: classical electromagnetic waves gravitate (see posts #83, #84), in certain limits (e.g., high photon energies) a theory of quantum gravity would be needed to know whether photons gravitate the same way as other matter.

As for electric fields (produced by charged particles), the strong equivalence principle requires they gravitate (by conservation of momentum) (for experimental verification of this principle see sec. 3.6 of http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-2006-3/" [Broken], section 3.7.3 provides an effect that explicitly depends on the electric field).

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does electricity affect a gravitational field?

Electricity does not directly affect the strength of a gravitational field. Gravity is a fundamental force that is determined by the mass and distance between objects, and is not influenced by electric fields.

2. Can electricity be used to manipulate gravity?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that electricity can be used to manipulate gravity. However, research is ongoing in the field of gravity control and there may be potential for future advancements in this area.

3. Would increasing electricity in a specific area create a stronger gravitational pull?

No, increasing electricity in a specific area would not create a stronger gravitational pull. Again, gravity is solely determined by mass and distance, and is not affected by electric fields.

4. Is there a relationship between electricity and gravitational fields?

There is no direct relationship between electricity and gravitational fields. However, some theories in physics, such as general relativity, suggest that gravity and electromagnetism may be connected at a fundamental level.

5. Can electricity be harnessed to create a gravitational field?

At this time, there is no known way to harness electricity to create a gravitational field. The only known way to create a gravitational field is through the presence of mass, which is not influenced by electric fields.