Build RLC Oscillator Circuit: Real-Life Examples & Falstad Simulation

In summary, an oscillator circuit uses a capacitor, inductor, and resistor to create a non-ending sinusoidal waveform from a DC voltage. However, this simulation may not accurately reflect real-life results and a transistor or other components are typically needed for sustained oscillation. The feedback in phase is crucial for the oscillation to occur, and in the Hartley oscillator, this is achieved through a tapping on a single coil. Tuning the coil with a capacitor ensures that the feedback only happens at one frequency. Further resources and materials about oscillators can be found online.
Raint
Hello I am trying to understand how exactly an oscillator circuit work and how to build one.

So I was palying around in falstad and made this:

the following is link. tried to get around spam filter so.. write without spaces
h t t p s : / / w w w . f a l s t a d . c o m / c i r c u i t / #

and add:

%24+1+5.0E-6+10.20027730826997+54+5.0+50%0Ac+208+176+208+288+0+1.0E-5+-1.5725275170777988%0Ar+320+176+320+288+0+100.0%0Aw+320+288+208+288+0%0AR+320+288+512+288+0+0+40.0+5.0+0.0+0.0+0.5%0Al+208+176+320+176+0+1.0+-0.011516250308585715%0Ag+320+176+496+176+0%0AO+208+176+160+176+0%0Ao+0+64+0+35+20.0+0.025+0+-1%0Ao+0+64+0+35+20.0+0.05+1+-1%0A

As it is visible from circuit simulator, only a capacitor, inductor and resistor is used to create non-ending sinus waveform from DC.

Question: would this actually work in real circuit? And if so, then why every example of oscillator circuit online includes at least one transistor and few more capacitors and inductors?

thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Despite what you simulator is showing you, this doesn't actually happen.

What does happen is that the capacitor charges up to the same DC voltage as the supply and then all further activity stops.

At best you might get a slight "ringing" or damped oscillation when power is first applied but this reduces in amplitude to zero, usually after just a few cycles.

You do need a transistor, a FET, an integrated circuit or even a tunnel diode to produced sustained oscillation.

It seems this website does not have correct electric circuit simulation algorithm. An RLC circuit produces damped oscillations, or an aperiodic puls, depending on the value of the resistance.

You can use a positive feedback (so output and feedback input are in phase) gain of greater than 1 to overcome your resistive losses. The oscillation will grow til its held back down by nonlinearities of your amplifier.

Or an additional element with negative differential resistance.

Thank you for explaining that. it makes sense that capacitor would only charge till the voltage of Voltage source. I'm trying to understand oscillator schemes. For example Hartley oscillator. Understanding part does not go that well.

For example, in Hartley oscillator. the middle of two inductors is connected to ground. Why? how does it change the circuit? Also I tried changing values of capacitors and inductors in circuit simulator. once i did, the oscilliation broke down. So apparently they must be in right proportions. But how?

Does anyone know where I could find materials about oscilator online?

DragonPetter said:
You can use a positive feedback (so output and feedback input are in phase) gain of greater than 1 to overcome your resistive losses. The oscillation will grow til its held back down by nonlinearities of your amplifier.

I understand how feedback in phase could do the trick. but getting that feedback is the hard part. I guess, a good way to do it is to somehow connect transistor base to the oscillations in LC. But not sure how.

Usually, in most types of oscillators, the feedback is achieved by potentiometrically dividing the voltage, but, instead of Ohmic resistors, one uses reactive elements, so that the Barkhausen stability criterion is satisfied for a particular (carrier) frequency.

The schematics given are deformed so that this basic scheme may seems obscured, but, it should be possible, through topologically equivalent deformations (i.e. only elongating and twisting the wires without breaking them, or reconnecting them if they cross), to bring it to the textbook example.

Have a look at the links in this post:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3908733&postcount=6

The center tap of a Hartley oscillator is not grounded. Notice that this is a single coil with a tapping on it, so the two halves are magnetically coupled together. The tap is usually one third of the way up from the grounded end.

Feedback in this oscillator is from the emitter via the coil (which is a step-up transformer) back to the base of a transistor or to the gate of a FET.
Tuning the coil with a capacitor ensures that this feedback only happens at one frequency, so that is where the circuit oscillates.

However if you build this circuit, you will need an oscilloscope to view the output, or a receiver in the same room so that you can listen to it. the receiver will not need to be connected to the circuit as there is always some radiation.

1. What is an RLC Oscillator Circuit?

An RLC oscillator circuit is a type of electronic circuit that uses a combination of resistors, inductors, and capacitors to produce a sustained oscillation, or a continuous back-and-forth motion of electrical energy. This type of circuit is commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers.

2. How does an RLC Oscillator Circuit work?

An RLC oscillator circuit works by using the interaction between the inductor and capacitor to create a feedback loop. When the capacitor is charged, it creates an electric field that stores energy. As the capacitor discharges, the energy is transferred to the inductor, which creates a magnetic field. The magnetic field then induces a current in the inductor, which recharges the capacitor. This continuous cycle creates the oscillation.

3. What are some real-life examples of RLC Oscillator Circuits?

Some common real-life examples of RLC oscillator circuits include quartz clocks, electronic musical instruments, and radio transmitters. These circuits are also used in various electronic devices for signal processing and filtering, such as in audio amplifiers and communication systems.

4. What is the significance of Falstad Simulation in RLC Oscillator Circuits?

Falstad Simulation is a software tool that allows for the simulation and analysis of electronic circuits, including RLC oscillator circuits. It allows scientists and engineers to test and refine their circuit designs before physically building them, saving time and resources. It also allows for the visualization of the circuit's behavior, making it easier to understand and troubleshoot any issues.

5. What are some factors that can affect the performance of an RLC Oscillator Circuit?

The performance of an RLC oscillator circuit can be affected by factors such as the quality of the components used, temperature changes, and external interference. Additionally, the values of the components, such as the resistance, inductance, and capacitance, can also impact the frequency and stability of the oscillation. It is important to carefully select and test components to ensure the desired performance of the circuit.