Stationary Orbits, Are they Real or just Idilization?

• Thread starter TMSxPhyFor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbits
In summary, the underling Hamiltonian of quantum field theory will still be time invariant even when the Hamiltonian of atoms is not time independent.
TMSxPhyFor
Hi, I raised this question in another forum but get no satisfactory answer, so hope will get something new here...

Stationary orbits of atoms are based on variable separation (time and spatial) of usual Schrodinger equation when Hamiltonian is time independent, and we get eigenvalues for energies that has been proved experementaly by Hertz a long time ago, and basically they are stationary because by this separation we get what callet dynamical phase [itex]e^{-iEt/h}[/itex] that will disapear in propability and current due to terms like [itex]\psi^{*}\psi[/itex].

What I can't figure out, is that strictly speaking, the Hamiltonian of even simple atoms like Hydrogen is not really time independent (or I'm wrong?), the proton in the nuclei is bouncing (even in vacuum) and the EM field not static at all, and there is vacuum fluctuations that comes from QEM, and I read that when Solid State physicists modelling molecules they never assume any stationary states (or stationary eigenstate), and all wave functions are always time dependent.

So my question is how all those things are really fit together and if Stationarity is just and idealization or they really exists (up to a very accurate and careful treatment) even so Hamiltonian is not time independent?

Physics news on Phys.org
the proton in the nuclei is bouncing (even in vacuum) and the EM field not static at all, and there is vacuum fluctuations that comes from QEM
All those effects change the energy levels, but the underlying Hamiltonian (of quantum electrodynamics and quantum chromodynamics, if you like) is still time-invariant - it is just more complicated.

Solid state physics is different, you have many other atoms influencing your atom, and solid objects are usually not at absolute zero temperature.

stationary here does not mean that they are still or something, stationary means that they are non radiating, it is the very base of quantum mechanics in atomic world...

@Phy_enthusiast I know that, it's not my point.
@mfb Can you please show in more detail how the underling Hamiltonian will still be time invariant? that what I can't figure out!

@TMSxPhyFor: Quantum field theory is described via Lagrangians, but that should not make a fundamental difference.
The basic laws of physics are time-invariant in the Standard Model, and bound states in the ground-state are "just" energy eigenstates of that.

@mfb oh thank you , I think now I understand what I miss, It's time invariance...

1. What is a stationary orbit?

A stationary orbit, also known as a geostationary orbit, is an orbit around a planet or moon where the satellite remains in a fixed position relative to the surface of the body. This is achieved by the satellite orbiting at the same speed as the rotation of the body, resulting in the satellite appearing to be stationary from the ground.

2. Are stationary orbits real or just an idealization?

Stationary orbits are real and have been used for various purposes, such as communication and weather satellites. However, they are an idealization in the sense that they require perfect conditions and do not account for external forces, such as gravitational perturbations, which can affect the satellite's position over time.

3. How are stationary orbits different from other types of orbits?

Unlike other types of orbits, such as low Earth orbit or elliptical orbit, a stationary orbit requires the satellite to be placed at a specific altitude and angle above the equator. This results in the satellite orbiting at the same speed as the rotation of the body, allowing it to remain in a fixed position relative to the surface.

4. Can any satellite be placed in a stationary orbit?

No, not all satellites can be placed in a stationary orbit. Only satellites with specific purposes, such as communication or weather observation, can be placed in a stationary orbit. Other satellites with different purposes, such as remote sensing or scientific research, require different types of orbits.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of stationary orbits?

The main advantage of stationary orbits is that they allow for continuous coverage of a specific area on the surface of the body, making them ideal for communication and weather satellites. However, they also have limitations, such as the need for perfect conditions and the inability to cover areas at high latitudes. Additionally, the fixed position of the satellite can make it vulnerable to external forces, leading to potential disruptions in communication or observations.