Binomial expansion of a function with x raised to a power

In summary, the conversation is about how to binomial expand the function 1/(1-x^2) in order to solve for the product of 1/(1-x^i) up to the 6th power. The person asking for help was under the impression that the expansion of 1/(1-x^2) can be done by using the formula for binomial series. The other person suggests looking at the special cases of binomial series and to observe the pattern while working on it.
Dixanadu
Hey guys.

So I need to know how to Binomial expand the following function
[itex]\frac{1}{(1-x^{2})}[/itex].

I need this because I have to work out [itex]\prod^{∞}_{i=1}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{(1-x^{i})}[/itex] for i up to 6. But I have to do it with Binomial expansion. If i can learn how to do [itex]\frac{1}{(1-x^{2})}[/itex] then the rest of the powers should be the same.

I was under the impression that [itex]\frac{1}{(1-x^{2})}[/itex] can be binomial expanded as

[itex]1+(-1)(-x^{2})+(-1)(-2)\frac{(-x^{2})^{2}}{2!}+(-1)(-2)(-3)\frac{(-x^{2})^{3}}{3!}+...[/itex]

Is that correct?

Thanks guys!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This is correct, and you probably want to observe that
(-1)/1! = -1
(-1)(-2)/2! = 1
(-1)(-2)(-3)/3! = -1

and you can probably guess the pattern as you continue.

Wait, wait- don't tell me. I'm still working on it!

Hello!

Yes, your understanding of binomial expansion for \frac{1}{(1-x^{2})} is correct. In general, the binomial expansion of a function with x raised to a power can be written as:

(1+x)^n = 1 + nx + \frac{n(n-1)}{2!}x^2 + \frac{n(n-1)(n-2)}{3!}x^3 + ...

In your case, n is equal to -2, so the expansion becomes:

(1+x)^{-2} = 1 - 2x + \frac{(-2)(-3)}{2!}x^2 + \frac{(-2)(-3)(-4)}{3!}x^3 + ...

Simplifying this, we get:

\frac{1}{(1-x^2)} = 1 + x^2 + \frac{3}{2}x^4 + \frac{5}{3}x^6 + ...

So, to find \prod^{∞}_{i=1}\frac{1}{(1-x^{i})} for i up to 6, we can use this expansion and substitute the values of i for x. For example, for i=1, we get:

\frac{1}{(1-x)} = 1 + x + x^2 + x^3 + ...

For i=2, we get:

\frac{1}{(1-x^2)} = 1 + x^2 + x^4 + x^6 + ...

And so on. We can then multiply these expansions together to get the final result. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the binomial expansion of a function with x raised to a power?

The binomial expansion of a function with x raised to a power is a mathematical process used to expand a binomial expression, such as (x + a)^n, into a series of terms. This expansion is based on the binomial theorem, which states that any binomial expression can be written as the sum of terms involving the binomial coefficients and powers of the variables.

2. How is the binomial expansion useful in mathematics and science?

The binomial expansion is useful in mathematics and science because it allows us to simplify and solve complex equations involving binomial expressions. It is often used in probability and statistics to calculate the chances of certain outcomes, and in calculus to find the derivatives and integrals of functions.

3. Can binomial expansion be applied to functions with variables other than x?

Yes, binomial expansion can be applied to functions with variables other than x. The binomial theorem can be used to expand functions with any variable raised to a power, as long as the variable follows the binomial form (x + a)^n. This allows for the expansion of functions with multiple variables and different types of exponents.

4. How do you determine the number of terms in a binomial expansion?

The number of terms in a binomial expansion is determined by the exponent of the binomial expression. For example, if the expression is (x + a)^n, there will be n+1 terms in the expansion. This can be seen by the pattern of binomial coefficients in the expansion, which follow the sequence 1, n, n(n-1)/2, n(n-1)(n-2)/6, etc.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for calculating a binomial expansion?

Yes, there are several shortcuts or tricks for calculating a binomial expansion. One method is to use Pascal's Triangle, which is a triangular arrangement of numbers that can be used to find the coefficients in a binomial expansion. Another method is to use the binomial theorem formula, which involves plugging in the values of the binomial coefficients and powers for each term in the expansion.