Using equation editor on microsoft word

• Thread starter DB
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equation editors on Microsoft Word and OpenOffice for creating chemistry equations in lab reports. The main question is how to add subscripts in the equation editor, and it is suggested to use the keyboard shortcuts ctrl-l for subscripts and ctrl-h for superscripts in Word. OpenOffice also has a similar equation editor feature and a suggestion is made to create a keyboard shortcut for quicker input. A user also mentions using a tool bar in Word to add subscripts and superscripts.
DB
okay I've installed equation editor on microsoft word, and the only thing i don't know how do to is sub-numbers like [tex]H_2[/tex]. how do i get the "2" as a sub number? i can't find it on the equation toolbar...

Computer science news on Phys.org
ive searched and searched but i only found a way to use subscripts in the Field Equation mode (which doesn't even work btw), not in the equation editor... :(

thanks dduardo, i got openoffice n i typed in a random chemistry equation n id like to know how bring it into either word or open office where i can place it in a lab report. thanks in advance

In OpenOffice Writer you can go to Insert->Object->Formula

At the bottom of the program a window will pop up where you can enter you equation. I suggest creating a keyboard shortcut so you can enter equations quickly.

got it :) thanks bro

On the tool bar, you need to press the 3rd button from the left in the bottom row (for my set up anyways). It is a rectangle that is checkered with black dots at the upper right and lower right corners. The tool help that comes up is the "subscript and superscript templates." When you press that, another small tool bar shows up. You will see a checkered rectangular box that has a small black box in the position you want the script. In my tool bar, the sub script is top row (of the new box) second from the left. I use it all the time. There are a lot of other options in there.

FredGarvin, what are you talking about? Are you talking about Openoffice or Word?

DB said:
okay I've installed equation editor on microsoft word, and the only thing i don't know how do to is sub-numbers like [tex]H_2[/tex]. how do i get the "2" as a sub number? i can't find it on the equation toolbar...

In Word's equation editor, ctrl-l gives subscripts and ctrl-h gives superscripts.

Regards,
George

dduardo said:
FredGarvin, what are you talking about? Are you talking about Openoffice or Word?
Microsoft Word's Equation editor. I guess I should have specified that.

What is equation editor on Microsoft Word?

Equation editor on Microsoft Word is a tool that allows users to create and edit mathematical equations, formulas, and symbols within a Word document. It is a useful feature for scientists, mathematicians, and students who need to include complex mathematical expressions in their documents.

How do I access equation editor on Microsoft Word?

To access equation editor on Microsoft Word, you can either go to the "Insert" tab and click on "Equation" or use the shortcut "Alt" + "=" on your keyboard. This will open the equation editor toolbar where you can create and edit equations.

What are the different options available in equation editor?

Equation editor on Microsoft Word offers various options for creating and formatting equations. You can insert symbols, fractions, matrices, and special characters. You can also change the font style, size, and color of your equations.

Can I save my equations in equation editor for future use?

Yes, you can save your equations in equation editor for future use. To do this, click on the "Insert" tab and then click on "Equation." From the drop-down menu, select "Save Selection to Equation Gallery." This will save your equation in the gallery for easy access in the future.

Can I use equation editor for other types of equations besides mathematical ones?

Yes, you can use equation editor on Microsoft Word for various types of equations, including chemical, physical, and statistical equations. It also allows you to insert and edit Greek letters, symbols, and other special characters used in scientific and technical writing.