Integral of tangent squared of x

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the integral of (tan(x))^2 and using the identity 1 + (tan(x))^2 = (sec(x))^2. The participants discuss the steps taken and provide hints for solving the problem.
grief
I tried and tried and I'm not able to solve this. I've managed to find the integral of sin squared of x by using the fact that cos(2x)=1-2(sin(x))^2, but I'm not able to do the same for tangent because I'm stuck with a quotient.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you ever seen the term tan^2(x) in a derivative of some function? Recognizing this may put you on the right track.

well since
1 + (tan(x))^2 = (sec(x))^2

and we know that the derivative of tan(x) is (sec(x))^2

then it's easy to find the integral of (tan(x))^2

I've merged your two threads.

P.S.: What "quotient" did you get that you were having trouble integrating? If I could see it, maybe I could give a hint on how to integrate it.

P.P.S.: people learn better when you give them hints, or direction on the problem than when you do most of the steps for them and just leave a short blank at the end. :grumpy:

Last edited:
never mind, I was on the wrong track. What d_leet said was right, you need to use (sec(x))^2

never mind, I was on the wrong track.
I'm not so sure. You certainly weren't on the easy track, but I am not yet ready to believe you were on the wrong track.

What is the integral of tangent squared of x?

The integral of tangent squared of x, or ∫ tan²x dx, is a trigonometric integral that evaluates to x - tanx + C, where C is the constant of integration.

What is the process for finding the integral of tangent squared of x?

The process for finding the integral of tangent squared of x involves using the trigonometric identity 1 + tan²x = sec²x to rewrite the integral as ∫ (sec²x - 1) dx. Then, using substitution and integration by parts, the integral can be evaluated to x - tanx + C.

Why is finding the integral of tangent squared of x important?

Knowing how to find the integral of tangent squared of x is important for solving various mathematical and physics problems that involve trigonometric functions. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and helps in understanding the relationship between derivatives and integrals.

What are some common mistakes made when finding the integral of tangent squared of x?

Some common mistakes made when finding the integral of tangent squared of x include not using the trigonometric identity correctly, forgetting to add the constant of integration, and making errors during substitution or integration by parts.

Can the integral of tangent squared of x be solved without using trigonometric identities?

No, the integral of tangent squared of x cannot be solved without using trigonometric identities. It is an essential step in the process of solving the integral and cannot be skipped or substituted with other methods.