Calculating Initial Velocity with Spring Constant and Mass: Homework Problems

In summary, the cannonball will have an initial speed of 9.00 m/s when it is released from the spring.
kbean5588
These questions on my homework are so hard. anyone get them?

"The Spring constant for the spring in a special cannon is 1800N/m. In cocking the cannon, the spring is compressed .55m. What is the initial speed of a 7.0 kg cannonball at rest on the free end of the spring when it is released?"

"I went bugee jumping and I was standing on a platform that is 46.0m high. My mass is 68.0kg and my bungee cord is 9.00 m long (unstretched). The cord behaves like an ideal spring and has a constant of k=66.0N/m. I fall off the platform from rest and I want you to tell me my velocity when I am (a) 37 m off the ground and (b) 15 m off the ground."

Physics news on Phys.org
kbean5588 said:
"The Spring constant for the spring in a special cannon is 1800N/m. In cocking the cannon, the spring is compressed .55m. What is the initial speed of a 7.0 kg cannonball at rest on the free end of the spring when it is released?"

I am assuming your cannon is horizontal rather than pointing up. Use the Work-Energy Theorem. You can find the initial spring PE. You can use that to predict the final KE.

-Dan

kbean5588 said:
"I went bugee jumping and I was standing on a platform that is 46.0m high. My mass is 68.0kg and my bungee cord is 9.00 m long (unstretched). The cord behaves like an ideal spring and has a constant of k=66.0N/m. I fall off the platform from rest and I want you to tell me my velocity when I am (a) 37 m off the ground and (b) 15 m off the ground."

You can find how fast the jumper is moving when the bungee cord is extended, but not stretched. (That's the 37 m reading). For the 15 m reading, you know how far the bungee cord is stretched, so you can find the PE due to that. You also know the gravitational PE. From these you can find the KE.

-Dan

What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth along a straight line with a constant amplitude and a constant period. It is caused by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

What are the characteristics of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The main characteristics of SHM are its constant amplitude, constant period, and sinusoidal motion. It also exhibits a phase shift of 90 degrees between the displacement and velocity of the object.

What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for SHM is given by x = A*cos(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement of the object, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, t is time, and φ is the phase angle.

What are some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion?

Some common examples of SHM include the motion of a mass attached to a spring, the motion of a pendulum, and the motion of a mass on a vibrating string.

How is Simple Harmonic Motion related to energy?

In SHM, the total mechanical energy of the system remains constant, with the energy being converted between potential energy and kinetic energy as the object moves. At the equilibrium position, the potential energy is at its maximum and the kinetic energy is zero, while at the maximum displacement, the potential energy is zero and the kinetic energy is at its maximum.