What Are the Stationary Points for y = (8 + 5x^2)^1/3 Using Algebraic Calculus?

• Thread starter TheoehT
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the question is asking for the stationary points for y = (8+5x^2)^1/3. The person found the derivative wrong and is now trying to find the stationary points. They are having trouble with this question and need help.
TheoehT
I'm having trouble with this question, because the 1/3 power is making my life very difficult! I don't have class for the next couple of days and without a teacher to ask, the question's driving me crazy!

the question is find the stationary points for y = (8 +5x^2)^1/3

using algebraic calculus

I was able to find the derivative,
dy/dx = 1/3(8+5x^2)^-2/3 times 10x
= 10/3(8+5x^2)^-2/3

= 10x (above)
3(8+5x^2)^2/3

I also know to make dy/dx = 0, but when I try to work it out I somehow get to 392^3/2 + 15x^11/2 - 10x = 0

I have no idea how I got there! I'm really confused over the fractional power, and no examples I have with me deal with it!

If anyone could help in some way, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you found the derivative wrong, it should be;
[tex]f'(x) = \frac{10x}{3}(5x^2 + 8)^{\frac{-2}{3}}[/tex]

Just to confirm, you are trying to find the stationary points?

Oh and by the way don't forget that;
[tex]x^{\frac{2}{3}} = (\sqrt[3]{x})^2[/tex]

Last edited:
thanks for the fixup, I am trying to find the stationary points

You can re-write f'(x) like this;
[tex]f'(x) = \frac{10x}{3(5x^2 + 8)^{\frac{2}{3}}}[/tex]

Can you go from here? :smile:

square roots are even worse :frown:

hang on... if f`(x) = 0 then doesn't 10x have to equal 0, because you can't have the denominator equalling zero because it is undefined?

I'm not sure if that is right, perhaps I have to move the denominator over the other side and try and solve?

however, I still don't see how that gives me a stationary point, I've tried to bring the denominator over and it just gets into a mess!

my attempts at this problem go over 5A4 sheets! and I still haven't got it

TheoehT said:
square roots are even worse :frown:
hang on... if f`(x) = 0 then doesn't 10x have to equal 0

You've got it :smile: Its always a good idea to sketch the graph of your function first. So now all you have to do is find your y-co ordinate.

Just look at your differential;

[tex]\frac{10x}{3(5x^2 + 8)^{\frac{2}{3}}}= 0 [/tex]

What's the only possible way that it could equal zero?

o.o

all that time the answer was right under my nose. I could cry =p

I'll go work graph the thing now, Thanks so much!

with x = 0, because then 10x would = 0 and the denominator would still be a constant (albeit a messy one)

therefore not undefined, I hope

Nope your denomenator would be twelve. All you need to do now is find your y co-ordinate. :smile:

I took the extra step and worked out x= 0 or x= 12 an rejected x = 12.

then, sub'ing the x value back into the equation I got
8⅓ (got my head around the fraction, yay)
3√8
y=2.

I'm on to graphing it, but aside from checking my calculator, how do I check the -nature- of stationary points? does that mean if it's a minimum or maximum? I seem to remember checking either side of the stationary point, but I'm not sure.

I have (8+5(-1)^2)^3
= 2.235 +ve.

and that'll help me with my graph, hope it's right!

Yes, 'nature' means find whether it is a minimum, maximum or inflection, there is a simpler way to define the nature of the point. You need to find the second derivative;

(1)If [itex]f''(x) > 0[/itex] then it is a minimum point.
(2)If [itex]f''(x) < 0[/itex] then it is a maximum point.
(2)If [itex]f''(x) = 0[/itex] then you need to look a small [itex]\Delta x[/itex] either side of the stationary point to decide the nature of the point.

Hope this helps :smile:

you've helped me a great deal, that ends 3 days of worrying!

Thanks.

TheoehT said:
I have (8+5(-1)^2)^3
= 2.235 +ve.

and that'll help me with my graph, hope it's right!

That look's right to me. Do you not have any plotting software? It would make this a lot easier. If you haven't you can goto http://www.univie.ac.at/future.media/moe/onlinewerkzeuge.html to use a simple online graphing tool. :smile:

What is a stationary point in calculus?

A stationary point is a point on a function where the derivative is equal to zero. This means that the slope of the function at that point is horizontal, and the function is neither increasing nor decreasing at that point.

How do you find stationary points in calculus?

To find stationary points, you must first take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the variable that will give you the x-value(s) of the stationary point(s). Finally, plug these x-values back into the original function to find the y-values of the stationary points.

What is the significance of stationary points in calculus?

Stationary points are important because they can help us identify maximum and minimum values of a function. They also provide information about the shape of the graph of a function, such as whether it is concave up or concave down at a specific point.

How do you determine if a stationary point is a maximum or minimum?

To determine if a stationary point is a maximum or minimum, you can use the second derivative test. If the second derivative is positive at the stationary point, it is a minimum. If the second derivative is negative, it is a maximum. If the second derivative is zero, the test is inconclusive and you may need to use additional methods to determine the nature of the stationary point.

What other methods can be used to analyze stationary points in calculus?

In addition to the second derivative test, there are other methods that can be used to analyze stationary points, such as the first derivative test, the concavity test, and the graphing method. These methods can provide further information about the behavior of a function at a stationary point.