Fix MS Word Not Saving Document - Free Up Disk Space

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
In summary, there could be various reasons why your MS Word is not saving documents, such as lack of disk space, corrupted files, or outdated software. To fix this issue, you can try freeing up disk space, repairing or updating MS Word, or contacting Microsoft support. If you have enabled the AutoRecover feature, you may be able to retrieve unsaved documents, but if not, they may be lost. To prevent this issue in the future, regularly free up disk space, enable AutoRecover, and save your document frequently. If a document becomes corrupted, you can try using the built-in repair tool or opening it in a different program, but it may be permanently lost.
pivoxa15
I have a Word document containing many graphs copied from Excel. When I want to save this document, it says 'The disk is too full or too many files are open' and disallow me to save it.

I have 20 free gigs of memory so it is most likely the later reason.

What could I do to save this document?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q224041

Last edited by a moderator:

There are a few steps you can take to try and resolve this issue.

First, try closing any unnecessary programs or files that may be using up your disk space. This will free up more space for Word to save your document.

If that doesn't work, you can try clearing your temporary files and cache. These files can take up a lot of space and may be causing the issue. To do this, go to the "File" menu in Word, then click on "Options." In the options menu, go to "Advanced" and then scroll down to the "General" section. Click on "File Locations" and then select "Temporary files." Click on "Delete files" to clear out the temporary files.

Another option is to save your document to a different location, such as an external hard drive or a cloud storage service like OneDrive or Google Drive. This will also free up space on your computer's hard drive.

If none of these solutions work, you may need to consider freeing up more space on your hard drive by deleting unnecessary files or programs. You can also try running a disk cleanup or disk optimization tool to help clear up space.

It's also a good idea to regularly save your document as you work on it, in case this issue happens again. This way, you won't lose any of your progress if you are unable to save the document at a later time.

I hope these suggestions help you to successfully save your Word document. If the issue persists, you may need to reach out to Microsoft support for further assistance.

1. Why is my MS Word not saving documents?

There could be several reasons why your MS Word is not saving documents. One common reason is that your computer may not have enough disk space to save the document. Other reasons could include corrupted files, outdated software, or issues with the program itself.

2. How do I fix MS Word not saving documents?

To fix this issue, you can try freeing up disk space on your computer by deleting unnecessary files or programs. You can also try repairing MS Word or updating the software to the latest version. If the problem persists, you may need to contact Microsoft support for further assistance.

3. Can I still retrieve my unsaved Word document?

If you have enabled the AutoRecover feature in MS Word, there is a chance that you can retrieve your unsaved document. You can check the AutoRecover folder or use the "Recover Unsaved Documents" feature in MS Word to try and recover the document. However, if this feature was not enabled, unfortunately, the document may be lost.

4. How can I prevent MS Word from not saving documents in the future?

To prevent this issue from happening again, you can make sure to regularly free up disk space on your computer. You can also enable the AutoRecover feature in MS Word to save your work automatically. Additionally, it's recommended to save your document frequently while working on it to avoid losing any progress.

5. Is there a way to recover a corrupted MS Word document?

If your MS Word document becomes corrupted and cannot be opened, you may be able to recover it using the built-in repair tool in MS Word. You can also try opening the document in a different program, such as Google Docs or LibreOffice, to see if it can be opened and saved in a different format. However, if these methods do not work, the document may be permanently lost.