Capacitance of a system of 3 concentric spheres

This can also be expressed using the equation Q = CV, where Q is the total charge on the system and V is the potential difference between the spheres. In this case, Q = 0 and V = V, so Ctotal = 0. In short, the total capacitance of the system is the sum of the individual capacitances of each sphere, and it is equal to 0 in this scenario.
Anthony
1. 3 conducting spheres of radius a, b, c (a<b<c) are held at a potential of 0, V, 0 respectively. What is the capacitance of the system?

2. Q=CV (which I assume extends to Qi=CijVj for multiple conductors).

3. I've calculated the fields in the two interesting regions, calculated the charge on each sphere - this gives Qa+Qb+Qc=0.

I can't find many references to the "total capacitance" of a system of conductors and how it would relate to my Cij. I might be missing the totally obvious, but that'll be down to my utter incompetence when it comes to physics!

Thanks for shedding any light on the matter. It shouldn't be too difficult, because the question comes from an undergraduate example sheet on introductory EM.

Physics news on Phys.org
The total capacitance of the system is equal to the sum of the individual capacitances of each sphere. The capacitance of a single isolated spherical conductor is given by C = 4πε0a,where a is the radius of the sphere and ε0 is the permittivity of free space. Therefore, the total capacitance of the system is given byCtotal = 4πε0(a + b + c).

I would first like to commend you for your efforts in calculating the fields and charges in the system. It shows a good understanding of the underlying principles and equations.

To answer your question, the capacitance of a system of conductors is defined as the ratio of the charge on a conductor to the potential difference between that conductor and a reference point. In your case, the reference point is the potential of 0. So, for a single conductor, the capacitance is given by C = Q/V.

For a system of multiple conductors, the total capacitance can be calculated by considering each conductor individually and then adding them up. In your case, we have three conductors, so the total capacitance would be:

Ctotal = Ca + Cb + Cc

Now, each conductor has a capacitance that depends on its geometry and the dielectric medium surrounding it. In your system, all three conductors are concentric spheres, which simplifies the calculations. The capacitance of a single conducting sphere is given by:

C = 4πε0ab/(b-a)

Where ε0 is the permittivity of free space, a is the radius of the inner sphere, and b is the radius of the outer sphere. Using this equation, we can calculate the capacitance of each conductor in your system:

Ca = 0 (since a = 0)

Cb = 4πε0ab/(b-a)

Cc = 4πε0ac/(c-a)

Therefore, the total capacitance of your system would be:

Ctotal = 4πε0ab/(b-a) + 4πε0ab/(b-a) + 4πε0ac/(c-a)

= 4πε0ab/(b-a) + 4πε0ac/(c-a)

= 4πε0a(b+c)/(b-a)(c-a)

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of capacitance in a system of multiple conductors. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is a measure of the ability of a system to store electrical charge. It is defined as the ratio of the charge stored on an object to the electric potential difference across that object.

2. How is capacitance calculated for a system of 3 concentric spheres?

The capacitance of a system of 3 concentric spheres can be calculated using the formula C = 4πε0εra1a2a3/a12a23a31, where ε0 is the permittivity of free space, εr is the relative permittivity of the material between the spheres, and a1, a2, and a3 are the radii of the spheres.

3. What factors affect the capacitance of a system of 3 concentric spheres?

The capacitance of a system of 3 concentric spheres is affected by the radii of the spheres, the distance between them, and the permittivity of the material between the spheres. It is also influenced by the charge on the spheres and the electric potential difference between them.

4. How does the capacitance change if the spheres are filled with different materials?

The capacitance of a system of 3 concentric spheres will change if the spheres are filled with different materials because the relative permittivity (εr) of the material between the spheres affects the capacitance. A material with a higher relative permittivity will result in a higher capacitance.

5. Can the capacitance of a system of 3 concentric spheres be negative?

No, the capacitance of a system of 3 concentric spheres cannot be negative. Capacitance is always a positive quantity, as it represents the ability to store charge. However, the capacitance can be zero if the spheres are not connected or if the distance between them is infinite.