Major problem- finding the distance between two cities

• Thread starter intelx86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
The fraction result may seem unusual, but it is the most accurate representation of the distance, given the information provided. We can also round it to a decimal or whole number if needed.
intelx86

Homework Statement

Cyclist rode from one city to another city. First day he rode 1/6th from all the distance and plus 50 km. On second day he rode 1/5th from all the road plus 15 km. And on the third day he rode 1/20 from all distance plus 70km. And the question is how long was the distance between two cities.

Homework Equations

I have no idea where to begin :frown: . I think the distance should be x. But what comes next? Sorry for my bad English, as it is not my native language.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it should look like 1/6*x +50 + 1/5*x +15 +1/20 +70 = ?

Physics news on Phys.org
intelx86 said:

Homework Statement

Cyclist rode from one city to another city. First day he rode 1/6th from all the distance and plus 50 km. On second day he rode 1/5th from all the road plus 15 km. And on the third day he rode 1/20 from all distance plus 70km. And the question is how long was the distance between two cities.

Homework Equations

I have no idea where to begin :frown: . I think the distance should be x. But what comes next? Sorry for my bad English, as it is not my native language.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it should look like 1/6*x +50 + 1/5*x +15 +1/20 +70 = ?
Well, the left hand side of this equation is the total distance he covers. Supposing that he reaches the city, then what will this be equal to? (i.e. what is x?)

Well the x is the distance he covers. Maybe it should be equal to 3 (as he rode it three days). Frankly I have no clue.
But I am curious was the equation I wrote even the right one?

Last edited:
intelx86 said:
Well the x is the distance he covers.

Correct, x denotes the total distance he covers.

On the left hand side of that equation you have the sum of the distances he covers on the three days, i.e. the total distance he covers.

Now is it clearer?

But I am curious was the equation I wrote even the right one?
Yes

1/6*x +50 + 1/5*x +15 +1/20 *x +70 =x
Should it be like that?
And then:
-7/12 *x= -135
And then result should be like x= 231 3/7 ?
It sounds strange in my opinion.

Last edited:
intelx86 said:
1/6*x +50 + 1/5*x +15 +1/20 *x +70 =x
Should it be like that?
And then:
-7/12 *x= -135
And then result should be like x= 231 3/7 ?
It sounds strange in my opinion.

That's correct. Why do you think it sounds strange?

I do not know, maybe the fraction as a result sounds not so nice.
But if you say it is right, then well. I will have to give my homework in for tomorrow, so I`ll see and will post a comment if I get it back.
So you think it`s the right solution?

intelx86 said:
So you think it`s the right solution?

Yes, it is the correct solution.

What is the most efficient way to find the distance between two cities?

The most efficient way to find the distance between two cities is by using a mapping or navigation application, such as Google Maps or MapQuest. These applications use GPS technology and accurate data to provide the most precise distance between two locations.

Can I use a physical map to find the distance between two cities?

While it is possible to measure the distance between two cities using a physical map, it may not be as accurate as using a digital mapping application. Physical maps do not always account for changes in roads or routes, and may not have the most up-to-date information.

How is the distance between two cities calculated?

The distance between two cities is calculated using the coordinates of their respective locations. These coordinates are then used in a mathematical formula, such as the Haversine formula, to determine the distance between the two points on the Earth's surface.

Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of the distance between two cities?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the distance between two cities. These include changes in roads or routes, traffic conditions, and the accuracy of the coordinates used in the calculation. Additionally, different mapping applications may use different data sources and algorithms, resulting in slightly different distances.

Can I find the distance between two cities without an internet connection?

Yes, it is possible to find the distance between two cities without an internet connection by using a physical map, a measuring tool, and the coordinates of the two locations. However, this method may not be as accurate as using a digital mapping application.