Simple part of a hard problem involving momentum/kinetic energy conservation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving momentum and kinetic energy conservation with two suspended balls of different masses. The velocity of the lighter ball before impact is found using the conservation equations, and the maximum height of each ball after the elastic collision is determined using the equation mgh=1/2mv^2. However, there is a discrepancy in the results and further clarification is needed.
anightlikethis
"Simple" part of a hard problem involving momentum/kinetic energy conservation

Two balls, of masses mA = 36 g and mB = 64 g are suspended as shown in Figure 7-44. The lighter ball is pulled away to a 60° angle with the vertical and released.
(a) What is the velocity of the lighter ball before impact? (Take the right to be positive.)
c) What will be the maximum height of each ball (above the collision point) after the elastic collision?

I found the velocity for ball A which I know to be correct -.48 m/s with the kinetic energy and momentum conservation equations, and also the ball B speed 1.23 which I'm not sure about. The part I'm having problems with is the heights. I've been told to use this equation: mgh=1/2mv^2, but this equation gives me .01 for Ball A which is not correct. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to describe the problem in more detail. Where's the figure, for example?

How did you find the initial speed of mass A just before the collision?

Here is the image
I hope...
http://www.webassign.net/giancoli/7-44fig.gif
I found that velocity by solving the momentum conservation equation mav=mav1 + mbv2 for v2 and plugging into the kinetic energy conservation equation 1/2mav^2=1/2mav1^2+1/2mbv2^2
This became a quadratic equation which I solved, and then plugged v1 back into the equation for v2 that I found.

We must be talking about different things. I asked how you found the speed of mass A just before the collision--which is the answer to part (a). That answer is not found using conservation of momentum or kinetic energy.

My point is that the same principle used to solve (a) can be used to solve (c).

1. What is momentum conservation?

Momentum conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a system remains constant if there are no external forces acting on it. This means that in a closed system, the total momentum before an event must be equal to the total momentum after the event.

2. How is momentum conserved in collisions?

In collisions, momentum is conserved through the exchange of momentum between the two objects involved. This means that the total momentum of the two objects before the collision must be equal to the total momentum of the two objects after the collision.

3. What is kinetic energy conservation?

Kinetic energy conservation is another fundamental principle in physics that states that the total kinetic energy of a system remains constant if there are no external forces acting on it. This means that in a closed system, the total kinetic energy before an event must be equal to the total kinetic energy after the event.

4. How are momentum and kinetic energy related?

Momentum and kinetic energy are related through the equation KE = 1/2 mv^2, where KE stands for kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity. This means that an increase in momentum will result in an increase in kinetic energy, and vice versa.

5. When is momentum or kinetic energy not conserved?

Momentum or kinetic energy may not be conserved in situations where external forces are present. For example, in a car crash, the total momentum and kinetic energy may not be conserved due to the force of impact from the outside environment. Additionally, in situations involving friction, some kinetic energy may be lost as heat, resulting in a decrease in the total kinetic energy of the system.