Solve for Matrix of Linear Maps f(x) = a(x)

• Thread starter salman213
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, a linear map, also known as a matrix map, is a mathematical function that preserves the linear structure of a vector space and is represented by a matrix. It differs from other types of maps in that it preserves the properties of vector addition and scalar multiplication. Linear maps/matrix maps have many practical applications in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are represented and manipulated using matrices and can be applied to real-world problems in various fields.
salman213
1. An associated 2x2 matriax is defined by the function

f(1,0) = (3,-1)
f(1,1) = (2,2)

Find the matrix

2. f(x) = a(x)

3. I have no clue where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
ok i was trying it and i think i got it

i get

[3 -1]
[-1 3]

can someone else try it and tell me if they got that too..

That is correct.

1. What is a linear map/matrix map?

A linear map, also known as a matrix map, is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another while preserving the linear structure of the space. It is represented by a matrix and can be used to solve systems of linear equations.

2. How is a linear map/matrix map different from other types of maps?

Unlike other types of maps, a linear map/matrix map preserves the linear structure of the vector space it maps. This means that the map will preserve the properties of vector addition and scalar multiplication.

3. What is the purpose of using linear maps/matrix maps?

Linear maps/matrix maps are commonly used in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are particularly useful in solving systems of linear equations, transforming geometric shapes, and studying the properties of vector spaces.

4. How are linear maps/matrix maps represented and manipulated?

Linear maps/matrix maps are typically represented by matrices, which are arrays of numbers. These matrices can be manipulated using various operations such as addition, multiplication, and inversion to solve equations and transform vector spaces.

5. Can linear maps/matrix maps be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, linear maps/matrix maps have many practical applications in real-world problems. They are commonly used in fields such as computer graphics, economics, and physics to model and solve real-world systems.