[CHEM] Simple stoichiometry problem help

In summary: In some cases, one atom of a heavier element will release two atoms of a lighter element. For example, in the case of lead and silver, one atom of lead will release two atoms of silver.
Batmaniac

Homework Statement

5.00g alloy of Magnesium and Aluminum is treated with excess HCl, forming MgCl2 and AlCl3 and 6.65L of H2 at 25 degrees celcius and 99.2kPa. What is the mass percent of Mg in the alloy?

Homework Equations

PV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

Using PV = nRT, I found the moles of H2 gas to be approximately 0.2663. Now I attempted to setup my overall reaction by combining the half reactions.

Mg + 2HCL --> MgCl2 + H2 (1)
2Al + 6HCL --> 2AlCl3 + 3H2 (2)

Adding them we obtain:

Mg + 2Al + 8HCL ---> MgCl2 + 2AlCl3 + 4H2

Using the above equation, I know that 1 mol of Mg reacts with 4 moles of H2, therefore x moles of Mg reacts with 0.2663 moles of H2. Therefore, the moles of Mg is approximately equal to .2663/4 = 0.066575 mol.

Multiplying the moles of Mg by it's molar mass, 24.31 g/mol gives you about 1.6g of Mg, which in turn if 32% of the 5g compound.

The problem is that the answer to the question isn't 32%, it's 16%. If it's 16% then my mole ratio was likely wrong because if you have a ratio of 1 mol of Mg for every 8 moles of H2, you get 16% as your answer, I just don't see how that ratio would come to be.

Furthermore, the charges are not balanced in my equations, is that a problem?

- Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Batmaniac said:

Homework Statement

5.00g alloy of Magnesium and Aluminum is treated with excess HCl, forming MgCl2 and AlCl3 and 6.65L of H2 at 25 degrees celcius and 99.2kPa. What is the mass percent of Mg in the alloy?

Homework Equations

PV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

Using PV = nRT, I found the moles of H2 gas to be approximately 0.2663. Now I attempted to setup my overall reaction by combining the half reactions.

Mg + 2HCL --> MgCl2 + H2 (1)
2Al + 6HCL --> 2AlCl3 + 3H2 (2)

Adding them we obtain:

Mg + 2Al + 8HCL ---> MgCl2 + 2AlCl3 + 4H2

STOP THERE. You can't do this. You can't add them together since you don't know the ratio of Mg to Al. As you have shown it, it is 1:2 but is this the only ratio possible?

Hmm, then I've no idea how to work with those two separate equations to obtain an answer.

Your equation is good, take a look at the left side of it, you will see that 1 atom Mg take
2 molecules HCl with a release of 2 H forming quickly H2 so 2/8 of the genesis from H2 is the responsibilty from the Mg. In the calculation you get 0.066575 mol H2 so than divide this amount by 2 multiply by atom weight Mg and you get your amount of Mg further calculation gives 16%. In brief: one mole Mg release two mole H atoms with the formation of one mole H2

There is a lot more that you know that you haven't thought about. For example,

Let x = grams Al and let y = grams Mg, then
x+y=5

Since y=5-x, we know the mass of both Mg and Al in terms of one unknown, 'x'.

Another thing that you know,

moles Mg = (5-x) grams Mg / FW Mg and,
moles Al = x grams Al / FW Al.

That should help you figure it out...

mit said:
Your equation is good, take a look at the left side of it, you will see that 1 atom Mg take
2 molecules HCl with a release of 2 H forming quickly H2 so 2/8 of the genesis from H2 is the responsibilty from the Mg. In the calculation you get 0.066575 mol H2 so than divide this amount by 2 multiply by atom weight Mg and you get your amount of Mg further calculation gives 16%. In brief: one mole Mg release two mole H atoms with the formation of one mole H2

This is not true always.

What is stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction.

What is a simple stoichiometry problem?

A simple stoichiometry problem involves using the coefficients in a balanced chemical equation to determine the amount of reactants or products involved in a chemical reaction.

How do I solve a simple stoichiometry problem?

To solve a simple stoichiometry problem, first write out the balanced chemical equation. Then, use the given information and the mole ratio between the reactant and product to calculate the unknown quantity using dimensional analysis.

What units are used in stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry uses units such as moles, grams, liters, and particles (atoms, molecules, ions) to represent the amount of a substance involved in a chemical reaction.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in simple stoichiometry problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid in simple stoichiometry problems include using the wrong mole ratio, not converting units correctly, and using the wrong number of significant figures in the final answer.