Basic vector calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in proving the vector potential A for a magnetic dipole with moment m and the elegant way of proving the magnetic induction B in vectorial form without writing the entire equation in components. The speaker has attached a page from their vector notes which contains basic equations for solving such problems, and has also derived some specific results from these equations. The speaker invites the listener to verify these results as they have not done so yet. The conversation also mentions that the attached page includes the case being discussed.
Sagreda
I'm having a hard time proving that if [tex]A=k \frac{m\times r}{(r\cdot r)^{3/2}}[/tex] (the vectorpotential of a magnetic dipole with moment [tex]m[/tex]), then:

[tex]B=\nabla\times A=k\frac{3e_r(e_r\cdot m) -m}{(r\cdot r)^{3/2}}[/tex]

without writing the whole thing in components, which becomes long, messy and ugly.
What's the elegant way of proving the magnetic induction [tex]B[/tex] in vectorial form from the vector potential [tex]A[/tex]?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I've attached a page from my vector notes. There you see the basic equations to treat these kind of problems. There first part I found in a book which one can check by components.

In the second part I derived some particular results from the general equations. Feel free to check them, as I haven't done that yet.

There you also find your case.

Attachments

• vector.png
    vector.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 549

Vector calculus can definitely be intimidating, but once you understand the concepts, it becomes much easier to see the elegant way of proving relationships such as the one you mentioned. In this case, the key concept to understand is that the magnetic field, B, is defined as the curl of the vector potential, A. This means that B can be written as the cross product of the gradient operator and A:

B = ∇ x A

Using this definition, we can see that the components of B can be written as:

B_x = (∂A_z/∂y) - (∂A_y/∂z)
B_y = (∂A_x/∂z) - (∂A_z/∂x)
B_z = (∂A_y/∂x) - (∂A_x/∂y)

Now, let's focus on just one of these components, say B_x. We can rewrite it as:

B_x = (∂A_z/∂y) - (∂A_y/∂z)
= (∂/∂y)(k(m x r)/(r^2)^(3/2)) - (∂/∂z)(k(m x r)/(r^2)^(3/2))
= k(∂/∂y)((m x r)/(r^2)^(3/2)) - k(∂/∂z)((m x r)/(r^2)^(3/2))
= k(∂/∂y)(3e_r(m∙e_r) - m)/(r^2)^(3/2) - k(∂/∂z)(3e_r(m∙e_r) - m)/(r^2)^(3/2)
= k(3e_r(m∙∂e_r/∂y) - m∙∂/∂y(e_r))/(r^2)^(3/2) - k(3e_r(m∙∂e_r/∂z) - m∙∂/∂z(e_r))/(r^2)^(3/2)
= k(3e_r(m∙e_y) - m∙0)/(r^2)^(3/2) - k(3e_r(m∙e_z) - m

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the analysis of quantities that have both magnitude and direction, also known as vectors. It involves the use of mathematical operations such as differentiation and integration to solve problems involving these vector quantities.

2. What are the basic concepts in vector calculus?

The basic concepts in vector calculus include vector fields, line integrals, surface integrals, and the gradient, divergence, and curl operations. These concepts are used to describe and analyze the behavior of vector quantities in space.

3. How is vector calculus used in science?

Vector calculus is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer science, to model and solve problems involving physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It is also used in the study of fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and other branches of science.

4. What are some real-world applications of vector calculus?

Some real-world applications of vector calculus include predicting and analyzing the motion of objects in space, calculating electric and magnetic fields, and designing structures and systems in engineering. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to simulate realistic movements and interactions of objects.

5. What are some common techniques used in basic vector calculus?

Some common techniques used in basic vector calculus include the use of vector identities, the chain rule for vector functions, and the fundamental theorem of calculus. Other techniques may include the use of multivariable calculus and vector algebra to solve complex problems involving multiple variables and vector quantities.