Force exerted by the floor on the feet of a student doing pushups

In summary, the physics student, with a mass of 45.0 kg, is about to do a pushup with her center of mass located above a point on the floor 1.01 m from her feet and 0.65 m from her hands. The normal force exerted by the floor on her feet can be found by treating her as a plank with two supports (feet and hands) and using the sum of torques to find equilibrium. The calculation results in a normal force of 172.68 N on her feet.
PhysicsPhun
A physics student is about to do a pushup. Her center of mass lies above a point on the floor which is d1 = 1.01 m from her feet and d2 = 0.65 m from her hands. If her mass is 45.0 kg, what is the magnitude of the force exerted by the floor on her feet? (Neglect friction in this problem)

I don't think i know where to put the pivot in this problem. I tried a few times at the center of gravity.

Also I don't know what the "mass" of her feet are is it just (1.01/1.66)*45?

That's what i did then, once i just tried to find the Normal force with just that.

The next time I tried , I used the same method with the "mass" of her feet and hands, and then tried to find the torques. Her feet had a larger torque, so I subtracted the torque of her hands, and then divided by 1.01 to try and find the Normal force against her feet.. That didn't work either..

Anyone have a better approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just treat her like a plank of wood with two supports: feet and hands. Each support will have a normal force pushing up to counter her weight pulling down (at her center of mass). For equilibrium, the sum of the torques must equal zero. You can solve it in one step if you choose her hands as your pivot point.

So, Hands are Pivot.

Weight of girl*distance from pivot = F* distance of feet from pivot

45*9.8*.65 = (1.66)F
F=286.65/1.66

F of feet = 172.68

Only one shot left for right answer.. Does that look good?

Yay: )
I got it Thanks!

1. What is the force exerted by the floor on the feet of a student doing pushups?

The force exerted by the floor on the feet of a student doing pushups is equal to the weight of the student's body. This force is also known as the normal force and is perpendicular to the surface of the floor.

2. How does the force exerted by the floor on the feet of a student doing pushups affect the student's body?

The force exerted by the floor on the feet of a student doing pushups helps to support the student's body weight and keep them stable while performing the exercise. This force also allows the student to push themselves up from the floor.

3. Does the force exerted by the floor on the feet of a student doing pushups change?

The force exerted by the floor on the feet of a student doing pushups remains constant as long as the student's body weight remains the same. However, if the student moves their feet or changes their body position, the force exerted by the floor will change accordingly.

4. Can the force exerted by the floor on the feet of a student doing pushups be greater than the student's body weight?

No, the force exerted by the floor on the feet of a student doing pushups cannot be greater than the student's body weight. This is because the normal force is always equal and opposite to the weight of the object on a flat surface.

5. How does the surface of the floor affect the force exerted by the floor on the feet of a student doing pushups?

The surface of the floor can affect the force exerted on the feet of a student doing pushups by providing more or less friction. A rougher surface will provide more friction, making it easier for the student to push themselves up. A smoother surface will provide less friction, making it more challenging for the student to push themselves up.