Solving the Inequation: How to Find the Solution Set

• Thread starter fishingspree2
  • Start date
In summary: I was thinking that the only regions that will solve that were going to come from when one multiplicand or the other - but not both - were less than zero. The OP's work makes no attempt to confirm that the other multiplicand is positive when one is negative. Your suggestion is probably easier to implement though.Yes, I believe the OP's work is incorrect because they used the logical operator "OR" instead of "exclusive OR". This means that they are not accounting for the case when both x^2 - x - 6 < 0 and log(abs(x^2-4)) < 0. In this case, the solution set would be empty.Using the correct logical operator, we would find the solution set
fishingspree2
Hello,

abs(x² - 4)^(x² - x - 6) < 1

here's my work:

1. taking the log of both sides (can i do this even if it's an inequality?)
log (abs(x² - 4)^(x² - x - 6)) < log 1
which is
(x² - x - 6)*(log(abs(x² - 4))) < 0

2. I can then say:
(x² - x - 6) < 0
OR
log(abs(x² - 4)) < 0

3. Solving:
(x² - x - 6) < 0
gives: -2 < x < 3

log(abs(x² - 4)) < 0
gives: -sqrt(5) < x < -sqrt(3) and sqrt(3) < x < sqrt(5)

so the solution set is:
]-√5 , -2[ U ]√5 , 3[ U ]-√3,√3[

Questions:
1. Is my work correct?
2. How would you do it, and can you please show work?

Thank you

EDIT: It's not really a homework... I was just wondering how would you guys do it :S
Sorry

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your step 2. is wrong I believe. Logically, EITHER [tex]x^2 - x - 6 < 0[/tex] or [tex]log(abs(x^2-4))<0[/tex]. What you meant to use is exclusive OR, [tex]\oplus[/tex], which is defined as (P AND ~Q) OR (~P AND Q).

Last edited:
fishingspree2 said:
Hello,

abs(x² - 4)^(x² - x - 6) < 1

here's my work:

1. taking the log of both sides (can i do this even if it's an inequality?)
log (abs(x² - 4)^(x² - x - 6)) < log 1
which is
(x² - x - 6)*(log(abs(x² - 4))) < 0

2. I can then say:
(x² - x - 6) < 0
OR
log(abs(x² - 4)) < 0

3. Solving:
(x² - x - 6) < 0
gives: -2 < x < 3

log(abs(x² - 4)) < 0
gives: -sqrt(5) < x < -sqrt(3) and sqrt(3) < x < sqrt(5)

so the solution set is:
]-√5 , -2[ U ]√5 , 3[ U ]-√3,√3[

Questions:
1. Is my work correct?
2. How would you do it, and can you please show work?

Thank you

EDIT: It's not really a homework... I was just wondering how would you guys do it :S
Sorry

Why not just test it numerically. See if a point on the boundary gives you the value 1. See if a point inside of the boundary gives you a value less then one. See if a point outside the boundary gives you a value greater then one.

Sorry, my maths skills aren't that advanced.

What is the name of the crosshair symbol? Thank you

Also, I'd like to know some other ways to do it

jhicks said:
Your step 2. is wrong I believe. Logically, EITHER [tex]x^2 - x - 6 < 0[/tex] or [tex]log(abs(x^2-4))<0[/tex]. What you meant to use is exclusive OR, [tex]\oplus[/tex], which is defined as (P AND ~Q) OR (~P AND Q).

Really? How do we know they both aren't less then zero? Does it really matter anyway. I don't know why the original poster bothered keeping the inequality signs. I would solve the problem by finding all possible intersections and then numerically testing to see which side of the boundaries the region of interest lies in.

John Creighto said:
Really? How do we know they both aren't less then zero? Does it really matter anyway. I don't know why the original poster bothered keeping the inequality signs. I would solve the problem by finding all possible intersections and then numerically testing to see which side of the boundaries the region of interest lies in.

Like in this video? http://youtube.com/watch?v=pV3cZ1zbuvs

John Creighto said:
Really? How do we know they both aren't less then zero?

I was thinking that the only regions that will solve that were going to come from when one multiplicand or the other - but not both - were less than zero. The OP's work makes no attempt to confirm that the other multiplicand is positive when one is negative. Your suggestion is probably easier to implement though.

Last edited:

1. How do you solve an inequation?

Solving an inequation involves finding the values of the variable that make the inequality true. This is done by using algebraic methods, such as isolating the variable on one side of the inequality and using inverse operations to solve for the variable.

2. What are the steps to solve an inequation?

The steps to solve an inequation are similar to solving an equation. First, simplify the inequality by combining like terms. Then, isolate the variable on one side of the inequality by using inverse operations. Finally, check your solution by plugging it back into the original inequality to see if it makes the inequality true.

3. Can you graph an inequation?

Yes, an inequation can be graphed on a number line or coordinate plane. The solution to the inequation will be represented by a shaded region on the graph, with the boundary line representing the values that make the inequality true.

4. What is the difference between solving an equation and solving an inequation?

The main difference between solving an equation and solving an inequation is the type of solution. An equation will have one specific value for the variable that makes the equation true, while an inequation will have a range of values that make the inequality true.

5. How do you know if a solution to an inequation is inclusive or exclusive?

A solution to an inequation is inclusive if the boundary line is included in the solution set. This means that the value of the variable at the boundary line makes the inequality true. On the other hand, a solution is exclusive if the boundary line is not included in the solution set, meaning that the value of the variable at the boundary line does not make the inequality true.