Application of quantum field theory to condensed matter physics

In summary, quantum field theory is a powerful tool in condensed matter physics, allowing for the description of many-particle systems and the understanding of thermodynamics at extremely low temperatures. While it is often associated with special relativity, it is not inherently tied to it and can be used in non-relativistic systems.
chris_183
i've read that quantum field theory can be applied to condensed matter physics but i don't understand how: quantum field theory is the union of SR with QM but how is SR related to condensed matter physics? i understand that quantum field theory would be useful because it can describe many-particle systems but I've read about it being applied to the thermodynamics of solids at temperatures near absolute zero - how could SR possibly be related to this?
someone please help me understand :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Through my shallow understanding, they are linked through Entropy-Information Theory.
I might be wrong though.

Most of modern condensed matter physics is field theory, and of course the former has greatly advanced understanding of the latter (for instance the Higgs mechanism was independantly found by condensed matter theorists). They simply take the nonrelativistic limit in most cases.

Its useful b/c ultimately its a formalism to deal with the many body problem.

chris_183 said:
i've read that quantum field theory can be applied to condensed matter physics but i don't understand how: quantum field theory is the union of SR with QM but how is SR related to condensed matter physics? i understand that quantum field theory would be useful because it can describe many-particle systems but I've read about it being applied to the thermodynamics of solids at temperatures near absolute zero - how could SR possibly be related to this?

As Haelfix has stated, it is most widely used in the treatment of many-body physics. The best introduction to it is Mattuck's book "A Guide to Feynman Diagrams in the Many-Body Problem".

All QFT need not be relativistic, or at least, not dealing with relativistic effects, in condensed matter physics.

Zz.

what does the SR mean?

aegeansea said:
what does the SR mean?

Special relativity.

chris_183 said:

As people have pointed out, QFT doesn't really have anything to do with special relativity. It is fundamentally the study of fields, from a quantum point of view. These field *can* be relativistic, and currently QFT really the only mainstream accepted way to do quantum mechanics in a relativistic manner. However, nothing constrains it to that arena.

Most frequently in condensed matter, we approximate some macroscopic system as a set of interacting fields. For instance, lattices can be approximated as an elastic continuum for the purposes of looking at phonons. However, due to the real intrinsic lower bound on the scale of the system, the theory has a frequency cut-off --- something which is very general in condensed matter field theory.

1. What is quantum field theory?

Quantum field theory is a theoretical framework that combines classical field theory and quantum mechanics. It describes the behavior of particles and their interactions in terms of fields, which are mathematical objects that exist throughout space and time.

2. How is quantum field theory applied to condensed matter physics?

In condensed matter physics, quantum field theory is used to study the behavior of materials at a microscopic level. It helps us understand how particles interact in condensed matter systems, such as solids, liquids, and gases.

3. What are some examples of condensed matter systems that can be studied using quantum field theory?

Some examples include superconductors, magnets, and semiconductors. These materials have unique properties that can be explained using quantum field theory.

4. What are the benefits of using quantum field theory in condensed matter physics?

Quantum field theory allows us to make accurate predictions about the behavior of materials at the microscopic level. It also helps us understand the underlying physical principles behind the behavior of condensed matter systems.

5. Are there any challenges in applying quantum field theory to condensed matter physics?

One challenge is that condensed matter systems often involve a large number of particles, making calculations using quantum field theory computationally intensive. Additionally, some phenomena in condensed matter systems, such as phase transitions, are still not fully understood using quantum field theory.