Mech - Girder Section - Picture included

In summary, the conversation is about balancing weights on a support structure and the use of moments to calculate the distance between letters. The weights are not equal and the person is seeking information and resources to learn more about support structures. The use of units in calculations is also discussed.
Chantry09

Homework Statement

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8958/mechanicsgv3.jpg [Broken]

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) Is the weight balanced on both sides in a situation like this, in which case it would be:

(6000 +3000) / 2 = 4500N on A and 4500N on G

Or are the weights not equal and infact I am meant to work it out with dimensions in terms of letters, for example A-C?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(ii) Could anyone tell me where i can learn about these support structures, i brought a mechanics book but it doesn't cover and after looking on the internet i can't find any good sources of information to teach me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Spadez said:
Or are the weights not equal and infact I am meant to work it out with dimensions in terms of letters, for example A-C?

Hi Spadez! :smile:

No, they're not equal.

Hint: take a moment.

Ok, so i take moments but i have to use the distance with respect to the letters, I am not given any distances. Can i still do it like that?

hmm … assuming the triangles are all the same, just say "let AC = CE = EG = 1 unit" … the units will cancel in the end :smile:

1. What is a Mech - Girder Section?

A Mech - Girder Section is a structural component used in engineering and construction projects to support heavy loads. It is typically made of steel and consists of two parallel flanges connected by a web.

2. How is a Mech - Girder Section different from other types of girders?

A Mech - Girder Section is unique in that it has a tapered shape, with the flanges being wider at the top and narrower at the bottom. This design allows it to handle heavier loads while using less material, making it a more efficient option for construction projects.

3. What are the common applications of Mech - Girder Sections?

Mech - Girder Sections are commonly used in bridge construction, as well as in the construction of buildings, industrial structures, and other large-scale projects that require strong support for heavy loads.

4. How are Mech - Girder Sections manufactured?

Mech - Girder Sections are typically manufactured through a process called hot rolling, where steel is heated to high temperatures and then passed through rollers to shape it into the desired size and profile. This process allows for precise control over the dimensions and properties of the girder section.

5. What are the advantages of using Mech - Girder Sections in construction?

Using Mech - Girder Sections offers several advantages in construction, including high strength-to-weight ratio, cost-effectiveness, and ease of installation. They also have a high resistance to bending and can withstand heavy loads without buckling or deforming.