Tube in tube heat Xchanger

• Thread starter ank_gl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat Tube
In summary, the heat transfer coefficient for internal forced convection in circular ducts is a function of temperature and velocity profile in the boundary layer.
ank_gl
For internal forced convection in a circular duct, exact solution is available for h, for both constant surface temperature & constant surface flux, Nu being 3.66 for former & 4.36 for latter.
Now if I have a double tube heat exchanger, with inner tube with hot water & annulus with cold water & they both undergo sensible cooling & heating, :confused:which Nu am I supposed to use for calculations? Both temperature & heat flux change:grumpy: along the length of heat Xchanger.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It’s been a while since I did any heat transfer work. But since no one else has responded, here is my opinion.

Heat transfer formulas for engineers are empirical approximations that hide the complexities of the underlying physics. I am not familiar with the formula you are trying to use. The basic formula for convective heat exchangers where both fluids are pumped thru tubes, states that the “rate of heat transfer is proportional to the surface area of the tube between them and the temperature difference between the two fluids”.

You are right is believing that the temperature of both fluids changes along the length of that tube. That’s one reason the fluids are typically pumped in opposite directions. At one end the hot fluid is hottest but the cold fluid has already warmed up a bit. So the temperature difference is less than the nominal difference. At the other end the cold fluid is at its coldest but the hot fluid has cooled off a bit. Again the temperature difference is less than the nominal difference. When the heat exchanger has reached equilibrium, the temperature difference is assumed to be the same along its length.

It is that temperature difference you use in the formula. If you want to derive that temperature difference yourself, you will need to know calculus. But any number you come up with will be an approximation because you are not taking into account the turbulent heat transfer within each fluid. All companies that sell such heat exchangers provide values for the rate of heat transfer as a function of nominal fluid flux, and temperature and tube diameter and length, based upon actual experimental data.

hi mike,
thanks for your time. I actually was referring to heat transfer coefficient which actually remains constant for fully developed internal flows. It is essentially a function of temperature & velocity profile in the boundary layer. Since boundary layer thickness for internal flows is actually the radius of pipe(& doesn't change for the entire length of the developed flow), convective heat transfer coefficient reaches a constant value.

Actually, I hadn't completely understood the problem when i made the post, so it was a lil vague.

For the case I mentioned, heat transfer rate varies, if I can get q" as a function of axial dimension, i can calculate the heat transfer coefficient. Anyway, I used some correlations & was pretty much close to the experimental value, which was calculated using log mean temperature difference.

What is a tube in tube heat exchanger?

A tube in tube heat exchanger is a type of heat exchanger that consists of two tubes, one inside the other. The inner tube is used to transfer heat between two fluids, while the outer tube is used to contain the fluids and provide insulation.

How does a tube in tube heat exchanger work?

In a tube in tube heat exchanger, one fluid flows through the inner tube while the other fluid flows through the outer tube. As the fluids pass through the tubes, heat is transferred from one fluid to the other through the tube walls. This allows for efficient heat transfer between the two fluids.

What are the advantages of using a tube in tube heat exchanger?

One of the main advantages of a tube in tube heat exchanger is its compact design, which allows for a large surface area for heat transfer in a relatively small space. It also allows for easy maintenance and cleaning, as the inner tube can be removed for cleaning without disrupting the outer tube.

What are the common applications of tube in tube heat exchangers?

Tube in tube heat exchangers are commonly used in industries such as chemical processing, food and beverage, and pharmaceuticals. They are also used in heating and cooling applications, such as air conditioning and refrigeration systems.

What factors should be considered when selecting a tube in tube heat exchanger?

When selecting a tube in tube heat exchanger, factors such as the fluids being used, the required flow rates and temperature ranges, and the available space should be taken into consideration. It is also important to consider the materials of construction and the cost-effectiveness of the heat exchanger.