External contracting block brake mechanism

In summary, the brake shown in the picture will be released by retracting the actuator into the cylinder. This action will compress the coil spring, pushing the opposing shoe away from the shaft that is being braked.
ank_gl
In the brake shown in the pic, what ll be the point of application of force to disengage the brake(it is holding type brake). It is an assignment problem in machine drawing class, I have calculated the shoe dimensions, but I have no idea where ll the force be applied to disengage the brake. And how ll the force be transmitted to the second shoe?

Force Fs shown doesn't mean anything, i was trying to work it out.

Attachments

• DSC00001.JPG
    DSC00001.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 826
Engineering news on Phys.org
This is probably just a personal shortcoming on my part, but I really can't make out what's what on that diagram. Do you have other views of it?

yups, that's exactly the problem. it looks messy.

lowermost part is the plate on which everything is mounted. Both links are mounted on this plate, brake shoes are mounted symmetrically on these links. On top of the brake drum is some plate on whic some mechanism to transfer force is there. This is what i am not getting.

this problem is from the book 'Machine Design - Robert Norton'. I couldn't find this book in the library. If anyone has it, could you please explain it to me?

I have MD by shigley, it is nice. Is norton worth buying??

It still seems to be missing something, but I think that I've got the basic idea now. If I'm reading it correctly, a downward force on the vertical rod (left side of pic) should disengage the shoes.

I'm with Danger. Crap picture, but pushing/pulling the rod (top left of picture) downwards would disengage the brake.

i know the pic is too bad.

Anyways i got it, the top left lever is a bell crank, when pushed down, the far end of the bell crank pushes away the push rod for the right shoe, & the left shoe moves leftward because the pivot of the moves left.

That's what it looks like to me. What bothers me a bit is that I don't see any sort of equalization mechanism to make sure that both shoes retract fully.

Danger said:
That's what it looks like to me. What bothers me a bit is that I don't see any sort of equalization mechanism to make sure that both shoes retract fully.

But there is an adjustment screw mounted to the actuator that would limit the open position of the left shoe.

Last edited:
Oh... okay. I can't make that out, but it explains a bit.

It appears that the brake is released by retracting the actuating ram into the cylinder. That compresses the coil spring, pushing the opposing shoe away from the shaft that is being braked.

If such a brake is to be used in a fail-closed application pressure would need to be applied to the top of the cylinder to open the brake. Failure of actuating pressure would result in the brake being applied.

turbo-1 said:
It appears that the brake is released by retracting the actuating ram into the cylinder. That compresses the coil spring, pushing the opposing shoe away from the shaft that is being braked.

If such a brake is to be used in a fail-closed application pressure would need to be applied to the top of the cylinder to open the brake. Failure of actuating pressure would result in the brake being applied.

Yeah, that's what I get out of it, Turbo. The bell crank appears to press against an adjustable nut on a threaded shaft to open the jaws.

Danger's point is still standing though: what keeps the brakes from rubbing in the open position? If that's really a stop screw mounted to the cylinder, as it appears to be, what forces tend to move the pair of jaws to the left stop to prevent rubbing?--or maybe it doesn't matter in the application.

Phrak said:
Danger's point is still standing though: what keeps the brakes from rubbing in the open position? If that's really a stop screw mounted to the cylinder, as it appears to be, what forces tend to move the pair of jaws to the left stop to prevent rubbing?--or maybe it doesn't matter in the application.

I don't understand this part, why would the shoe rub against the drum? Once it loses contact, its enough. That screw on the left must set the maximum retraction possible.

Anyways, thanks a lot everyone:cool:

hi ankit i still didnt understand how it works. please help me out.

On second glance, there's something obvious missed. Retracting the actuator will move would move the left shoe slightly into the drum as the bell crank pivots become horizontally displaced from one another. So I don't get it.

I am not sure if I understand you correctly phrak, but I assume you are talking about what happens if the left arm of bell crank starts above the pivot, then it ll get horizontal first as it goes down & push into the drum.

But I don't see any problem in that, we can start with the lever arm below the pivot.

Ankg said:
hi ankit i still didnt understand how it works. please help me out.

I ll tell you in class on 19th:biggrin:

1. What is an external contracting block brake mechanism?

An external contracting block brake mechanism is a type of braking system commonly used in vehicles and machinery. It consists of a brake drum or disc, brake shoes, and a hydraulic or mechanical actuator. When activated, the brake shoes are pressed against the rotating drum or disc, causing friction and slowing down or stopping the motion of the vehicle or machinery.

2. How does an external contracting block brake mechanism work?

When the brake pedal is pressed, a hydraulic or mechanical force is applied to the brake shoes, causing them to move towards the brake drum or disc. As the two surfaces come into contact, friction is generated, which helps to slow down or stop the motion of the vehicle or machinery.

3. What are the advantages of using an external contracting block brake mechanism?

One of the main advantages of this type of brake mechanism is its simplicity and reliability. It is also relatively inexpensive to manufacture and maintain. Additionally, external contracting block brake mechanisms are able to handle high amounts of heat and pressure, making them suitable for heavy-duty applications.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of an external contracting block brake mechanism?

One potential drawback is that this type of brake mechanism can be less effective in wet or icy conditions, as the friction between the brake shoes and the drum or disc may be reduced. Additionally, external contracting block brake mechanisms may experience wear and tear over time, requiring regular maintenance and replacement of brake components.

5. In what types of vehicles or machinery are external contracting block brake mechanisms commonly used?

External contracting block brake mechanisms are commonly used in a wide range of vehicles and machinery, including cars, trucks, trains, construction equipment, and industrial machinery. They are particularly well-suited for applications that require frequent braking and high levels of stopping power, such as in heavy-duty trucks and trains.