How to Calculate Heat Flow in a Copper and Aluminum Rod Pairing?

In summary, The problem involves two rods, one copper and one aluminium, in thermal equilibrium with different temperatures at each end. The rate of heat flow through the pairing can be calculated using the formula Q/t = kA.(temperature difference, theta)/l, where Q is the heat flow rate, t is time, k is the thermal conductivity, A is the cross-sectional area, and l is the length. The heat flow rate can also be calculated using the formula DQ = DT / (L1/k1A + L2/k2A), where L is the length of the rod.
rogerthat4

Homework Statement

Hello, first question here,

A copper rod and an aluminium rod are in thermal equilibrium with each other. Copper rod = 50cm long and the aluminium rod is 20cm. Radius of pair is 8cm.
Copper end is heated (and maintained) at 80C , other end of pairing is 20C. k of copper is 390 and k aluminium is 210. Calculate the rate of heat flow through the pairing.

Homework Equations

Q/t = kA.(temperature difference, theta)/l

The Attempt at a Solution

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's not much of an attempt at a solution.

mgb_phys said:
That's not much of an attempt at a solution.

I think this is the answer, not 100%,

delta Q = delta T / SUM ( R )

=> DQ = DT / R1+R2...+...R0

R1 = 1 / k1A , R2 = 1 / k2A ,..., R0 = 1 / k0A

You should explain what you have done.
What do you know about the heat flow rate in both materials?

mgb_phys said:
You should explain what you have done.
What do you know about the heat flow rate in both materials?

I just need the equation, i am not going to derive everything from first principles, you can see what i have done,

Dt / sum of R where, R is as stated.

I am not William Thomson attempting to experimentally derive with this conclusion, i just have asked for a verification of the above formula.

Yes the formula is correct - it's pasted out of wikipedia.
The point of this site is to explain physics and help people understand it.

Thanks for your help!

Or should it be this,

= DQ = DT/ (L1/k1A + L2/k2A) where L = length of the rod. A = cross sectional area of rod.

i had,

DQ = DT / (1/k1A + 1/k2A)

Is it dependent on the length?

What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object or system to another. It can occur through conduction, convection, or radiation.

How does heat transfer occur?

Heat transfer occurs through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

What is the difference between conduction, convection, and radiation?

The main difference between these three mechanisms is the way in which heat is transferred. Conduction requires direct contact between two objects, convection involves the movement of fluids, and radiation does not require a medium to transfer heat.

What factors affect heat transfer?

The rate of heat transfer can be influenced by several factors, including the temperature difference between two objects, the thermal conductivity of the materials involved, and the surface area of contact.

Why is heat transfer important?

Heat transfer is important in many industrial and natural processes, such as cooking, heating and cooling systems, and climate regulation. It also plays a crucial role in our daily lives, as it allows us to maintain comfortable living conditions and use various tools and devices that rely on heat transfer.