Sound waves(phase difference) PLS. HELP

In summary, as you move along the x axis, the sound is a maximum at lambda/2 and a minimum at lambda/1.
brunettegurl
sound waves(phase difference) URGENT PLS. HELP

Homework Statement

2 speakers ,in phase, have a frequency of 170Hz [so lambda= 2m; the speed of sound is 340 m/s] As you move along the x axis, where is the sound:
a)a minimum (compared to nearby pts.)
b)a maximum (compared to nearby pts.)

Homework Equations

r2-r1=delta r

The Attempt at a Solution

so for a) i know that there shld be no sound and that occurs the 1st minimum @ lambda/2

so i did r2-r1 =lamda/2
r2=sqrt(64+r1^2) therefore

sqrt(64+r1^2)-r1=2/2

and this is where i am stuck everytime i open it up the r1 gets canceled or i have r1^2-r1=-63 ..i'm supposed to be getting an r1= 31.5 m ..please help

Attachments

• pathdifference.jpg
    pathdifference.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 360
Physics news on Phys.org

brunettegurl said:
so i did r2-r1 =lamda/2
r2=sqrt(64+r1^2) therefore

sqrt(64+r1^2)-r1=2/2
So far, so good.

and this is where i am stuck everytime i open it up the r1 gets canceled or i have r1^2-r1=-63
Show how you got this.

sqrt(64+r1^2)-r1=2/2
sqrt(64+r1^2)-r1=1[if i move the sqrt over]
64+r1^2-r1 =1^2
r1^2-r1= -63

the other way i did it was
sqrt(64+r1^2)-r1=2/2 [if i take the sqrt ]
8+r1-r1= 1
in the last one r1's cancel leaving me w/8=1

brunettegurl said:
sqrt(64+r1^2)-r1=2/2
sqrt(64+r1^2)-r1=1[if i move the sqrt over]
OK.
64+r1^2-r1 =1^2
:yuck: (You didn't square the left hand side properly.)

How about:
sqrt(64+r1^2)-r1=1
sqrt(64+r1^2) = 1+r1
(continue...)

so if i continue with your line of thinking
sqrt(64+r1^2) = 1+r1
64+r1^2=1+r1^2
but if i move it over to get the like terms together wouldn't the r1's still cancel??

brunettegurl said:
so if i continue with your line of thinking
sqrt(64+r1^2) = 1+r1
64+r1^2=1+r1^2
This time you didn't square the right hand side properly.

What's (1 + r1)^2?
(1 + r1)*(1 + r1) = ?

(Work that out.)

thank you so much i was beating my head in the whole time and the mistake was so stupid and silly..thanks again

1. What are sound waves and how do they travel?

Sound waves are a type of mechanical wave that propagate through a medium, such as air or water. They are created when an object vibrates and causes molecules in the medium to compress and expand, creating a series of compressions and rarefactions. These waves then travel through the medium in all directions, carrying energy from the source to the surrounding environment.

2. What is the difference between longitudinal and transverse sound waves?

Longitudinal sound waves, also known as compression waves, propagate in the same direction as the wave motion. This means that the particles of the medium vibrate parallel to the direction of the wave. On the other hand, transverse sound waves, also known as shear waves, propagate perpendicular to the direction of the wave motion. This means that the particles of the medium vibrate at right angles to the direction of the wave.

3. How do phase differences affect sound waves?

Phase difference refers to the difference in the position of two waves with respect to each other. In sound waves, phase difference can affect the quality and perception of sound. When two sound waves with the same frequency and amplitude are in phase, they will add together and produce a louder sound. However, when they are out of phase, they will cancel each other out and produce a softer sound.

4. What is the relationship between phase difference and interference in sound waves?

Interference occurs when two or more sound waves meet and combine, either constructively or destructively. The resulting sound is determined by the phase difference between the waves. When two waves are in phase, they will reinforce each other and produce a louder sound. When they are out of phase, they will cancel each other out and produce a softer sound.

5. How is phase difference measured in sound waves?

Phase difference is typically measured in degrees or radians. It can be calculated by comparing the positions of two points on a wave at a given time. For example, if two points on a wave are exactly one wavelength apart, the phase difference between them is 360 degrees or 2π radians. If they are half a wavelength apart, the phase difference is 180 degrees or π radians.