Rate of Climb Calculations (w/ 4 engine jet powered aircraft)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the rate of climb for an airplane using given values and an equation. The speaker is unsure of the measurement units and how to proceed with the calculation. However, they later figure out the solution on their own and thank the expert for their response.
waealu
I have this problem and it seems like it has a simple solution, however I can't seem to figure it out.

Using the following values and the previous equation calculate the rate of climb for a
typical airplane at an altitude of 8000m.

4 Engines each with 150kN of thrust.
Aircraft mass is 330 tonnes.
Drag is 500kN
Aircraft Mach number is 0.6.

I know I need to use something like dh/dt=((T-D)V)/W , but I seem to have a problem. I can figure out the airspeed, and get something like dh/dt=24,648/W , but I'm not sure where to go from there. I am not sure of the measurement units or if I need to convert anything.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Wellll... your question wasn't given too clearly. For us to help you, you should probably give more details. Regardless, I'm going to try to guess what you mean.

I'm assuming that the plane in facing at a slightly different angle from the one it is actually moving in.

So let [tex]\alpha[/tex] be the angle from the horizontal to the plane nose, and let [tex]\theta[/tex] be the angle from the horizontal to the direction of the planes velocity.

Let [tex]F_T[/tex] be the thrust force (total--sum of forces from engines) and let [tex]F_D[/tex] be the drag force. Then, you have to solve the following equations:
[tex]
F_T \cos{\alpha} - F_D \cos{\theta} = 0
[/tex]
[tex]
F_T \sin{\alpha} - F_D \sin{\theta} - Mg = 0

[/tex]

Thanks for the help, but I looked over the problem yesterday and figured it out. It was easier that I originally thought. However, I forgot to return to the forum to remove the question. Thank you for the response, though.

1. What is the rate of climb for a 4 engine jet powered aircraft?

The rate of climb for a 4 engine jet powered aircraft varies depending on the specific model and altitude, but on average ranges from 2,000 to 3,000 feet per minute.

2. How is the rate of climb calculated for a 4 engine jet powered aircraft?

The rate of climb is calculated by dividing the change in altitude by the time it takes to achieve that change. This is typically measured in feet per minute.

3. How does the weight of the aircraft affect the rate of climb?

The weight of the aircraft has a significant impact on the rate of climb. As the weight increases, the rate of climb decreases due to the added force required to lift the heavier aircraft.

4. What other factors can affect the rate of climb for a 4 engine jet powered aircraft?

Other factors that can affect the rate of climb include air density, temperature, and wind speed. Higher air density and lower temperatures typically result in a higher rate of climb, while strong headwinds can decrease the rate of climb.

5. How can the rate of climb be improved for a 4 engine jet powered aircraft?

The rate of climb can be improved by reducing the weight of the aircraft, optimizing the engine performance, and minimizing drag. Additionally, choosing a more favorable altitude and weather conditions can also improve the rate of climb.