Electrical Engineering Self-Study: Hobby Level Books

In summary, the conversation is about the person's decision to pursue electrical engineering as a self-study instead of taking courses. They are looking for recommendations for books to help them get started at a hobby level. The recommended book is "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill, which covers basic concepts and microcontrollers. A second book, "Learning the Art of Electronics" by Hayes and Horowitz, is also mentioned as a helpful resource.
osnarf
I was originally going to take some electrical engineering courses along with my aerospace but have decided to just pursue it as a self study instead. I really just want to be able to do things at the hobby level. Could you recommend a good book or several books that would help get me started? Thanks, I appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
osnarf said:
I was originally going to take some electrical engineering courses along with my aerospace but have decided to just pursue it as a self study instead. I really just want to be able to do things at the hobby level. Could you recommend a good book or several books that would help get me started? Thanks, I appreciate it.

The Art of Electronics, by Horowitz and Hill. It's a good book for self study, and takes you from very basic concepts up through microcontrollers and analog circuits.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521370957/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll second Horowitz and Hill, unless you've never done anything with circuits before. It's (arguably) not a complete beginners book, but if you do know the basics it's, as berkeman said, a very good book.

1. What are some good books for beginners in electrical engineering self-study?

Some popular books for beginners in electrical engineering self-study include "Practical Electronics for Inventors" by Paul Scherz and Simon Monk, "Getting Started in Electronics" by Forrest M. Mims III, and "Fundamentals of Electric Circuits" by Charles Alexander and Matthew Sadiku.

2. Are there any books specifically for hobbyists in electrical engineering?

Yes, there are several books geared towards hobbyists in electrical engineering, such as "Make: Electronics" by Charles Platt, "Electronics for Dummies" by Cathleen Shamieh and Gordon McComb, and "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill.

3. Do I need a background in math or science to understand these books?

While a basic understanding of math and science can be helpful, many of these books are written in a way that is accessible to beginners with little to no background in these subjects. They often include explanations and examples to help readers understand the concepts.

4. Can I use these books to teach myself to design and build electronic circuits?

Yes, these books are designed to help beginners learn the fundamentals of electrical engineering and apply them to design and build electronic circuits. However, it is important to also gain hands-on experience and practice to fully master these skills.

5. Are there any online resources that can supplement these books?

Yes, there are many online resources such as video tutorials, forums, and websites dedicated to electrical engineering self-study that can supplement the information in these books. It is also recommended to join an online community or attend workshops to interact with other hobbyists and gain practical knowledge.