What Are Good Starter Textbooks for a UK Physics Foundation Year Student?

• Thread starter _Tom_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbooks
In summary, the person is looking for books to bridge the gap between first year undergraduate level physics and calculus. They mention the book "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker as a book they are enjoying, but also recommend "Physics" by Alonso and Finn. They also mention a book by Thomas, Swokowski, and Stewart which they have not read and mention that earlier editions will be cheaper. They also mention a website with calculus books for free.
_Tom_
Hi, I'm doing a foundation year in the UK at the moment for Physics (since I didn't take it at A level. I did do Maths A level though) and there is a huge library with many books available. Though many of the books I tried to pick up and read were rather Mathematical and to be honest, I didn't understand much of what was happening per page. So I'm looking for books to bridge the gap.

I think there are books for 1st year Undergraduates which I think I will be fine with. I just don't know what they're called. So if anyone can advise me on some books to read (I don't mind if they're Mathematical in nature) that are at a 1st year undergraduate level I will be forever in your debt!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm enjoying "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker.

First year university boks will use calculus, which you should know or be studying at the same time. So if that is the case I strongly recommend "Physics" by Alonso and Finn. This book and the one mvantuyl recommended are general physics books covering mechanics, electricity, magnetism, waves, a bit of statistical mechanics, etc.

qspeechc said:
First year university boks will use calculus, which you should know or be studying at the same time. So if that is the case I strongly recommend "Physics" by Alonso and Finn. This book and the one mvantuyl recommended are general physics books covering mechanics, electricity, magnetism, waves, a bit of statistical mechanics, etc.

Any good recommendations on Calculus books? I know Stewart's is commonly used, but my class is using... Hass/Weir/Thomas "University Calculus." I was thinking about picking up another book for some extra practice (and, hopefully, a bit of a different approach to explaining the material).

I am not familiar with the book you will be using. I learned calc from Stewart. My biggest gripe with Stewart is that it is at least 200 pages too long, filled with unnecessary comments, details, applications etc. Other students liked it so meh. The other books used are those by Thomas, Swokowski. You can search on amazon.com for reviews and also search this forum for calc books because this topic has come up a few times.
If you do decide to get another book of the ones I mentioned (Stewart, Thomas, Swokowski) you can get one of the earlier editions since they hardly change from one edition to the next, they usually just add unnecessary crap so they can charge you more. Earlier editions will be cheaper. Don't over-do it though, I just used Stewart and it was enough, so don't waste money getting lots of other books.

In fact, you can probably find tons of calc books in your school library so that's a good place to start.

If you want a rigorous calc book then the books to check out are Spivak, Apostol, Courant and John, and Courant. Again you can search this forum for more details. (Personally I recommend Spivak to complement your book, or Courant and John if you're more interested in physics than math).

EDIT: I just found this site with quite a few calculus books for free, check it to see if you find it helpful:
http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/listing.php?category=4

Last edited:
I would recommend Halliday Resnick Krane over Halliday Resnick Walker.

But that's just me.

If you know single variable calculus(differentiation+Integration), then I strongly recommend

Theoretical Physics by Georg Joos

Which is old, yet is the best introduction to physics book I have ever read. It is a bit dense, though. However, it is tractable and offers a LOT of insight.

1. What are the best textbooks for my field of study?

There is no one definitive answer to this question as the best textbooks can vary based on personal learning styles and the specific topic being studied. It is recommended to ask for recommendations from professors, colleagues, and academic advisors. You can also read reviews and compare different textbooks to determine which ones align with your learning goals.

2. Should I buy the newest edition of a textbook?

This depends on the subject matter and how frequently it is updated. If the subject is constantly evolving, then it may be necessary to purchase the latest edition. However, if the subject is relatively stable, an older edition may suffice and save you money. It is important to consult with your professor or conduct research to determine if the changes in the new edition are significant.

3. Are online textbooks a good alternative to physical textbooks?

Online textbooks can be a good alternative for some students, as they are often cheaper and more convenient. However, it is important to consider your learning style and whether you prefer physical books or digital versions. Additionally, online textbooks may not have all the same resources and features as physical textbooks, so it is important to research and compare before making a decision.

4. Can I save money by buying used textbooks?

Yes, buying used textbooks can be a great way to save money. However, it is important to make sure that the used textbook is the correct edition and in good condition. Sometimes used textbooks may have missing pages or outdated information, so it is important to thoroughly inspect them before purchasing.

5. Are there any alternative resources to traditional textbooks?

Yes, there are many alternative resources available such as open educational resources, which are free and openly licensed educational materials. Additionally, there are online lectures, educational videos, and study guides that can supplement or replace traditional textbooks. It is important to research and compare these resources to determine which ones align with your learning goals and budget.