How do alkaline rocks get so enriched in alkalis?

• Thread starter subopolois
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rocks
In summary, magma differentiation changes the alkali and incompatible trace element content of rocks over time.
subopolois
How do alkaline rocks get so enriched in alkalis and incompatible trace
elements ?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Rocks melt in the interior of the earth.
Molten alkalies are limited in their ability to incorporate other materials as the crystallize.

The key here is magma differentiation. Alkali-rich rocks are plutonic, meaning they formed within the Earth's interior (i.e. magma chambers) from a magma of a certain composition. There are three basic types of magmas: basaltic, andesitic, and rhyolitic. Most magmas start out as silicic basalts (from melting of the mantle) and over time become progressively more rhyolitic, or alkali-rich. (Though sometimes, a basaltic magma can seep into a more alkali-rich magma chamber and change the composition back.)

This change over time occurs through one or a combination of the following processes known as MAGMA DIFFERENTIATION:

1) Crystal Fractionation
2) Partial Melting (for this you need to understand ternary eutectics)
3) Assimilation
4) Mingling/Mixing

Crystal fractionation is fairly common. What happens is you start out with a basaltic magma. Then you start crystallizing rocks from it (gabbros). As the rocks crystallize, the relative amounts of available chemicals change. So gabbros are silicic, that means silica is being removed from the system (i.e. the magma). Think ratios-- the proportion of silica to alkalis is decreasing. As silica is depleted from the system because minerals rich in Fe, Mg, and SiO2 (according to Bowen's Reaction series) crystallize and form rocks, the relative percentage of alkalis is increasing. Over time, the magma is becoming more alkali-rich. When temperature and pressure conditions reach a certain point, more minerals with an alkaline composition begin to crystallize, forming your "alkali-rich rocks." Now don't get me wrong, minerals with SiO2 still crystallize, and minerals with alkalis can still crystallize BEFORE the magma is "alkali-rich"-- the lines are a little blurry, so consult temperature/pressure conditions.

This process also ties in with weird trace elements. As the other compounds are being depleted, you start getting a higher % of stuff like Ti, popular in minerals like magnetite and ilmenite if I'm not mistaken.

2) Partial Melting-- I understand the process, but I'm don't feel qualified to explain it to someone else since Petrology was a while ago. I suggest looking up lectures online, journal articles, and consulting your professor. But I think I do remember that with partial melting, you get a ton of incompatible trace elements "escaping" when the first few percentages are melted. They're incompatible because they don't "want" to be in the rock, so when it melts, the diffuse out into the liquid quickly so they don't have to be stuck bonded to stuff they don't like. Yeah, layman's terms, but it was the only way it made sense to me.

3) Assimilation-- really intuitive. The liquid magma assimilates something of a different composition, like melting a hunk of limestone shelf or continental crust. This process can also lead to a higher percentage of "strange" trace elements.

4) Mingling/mixing-- happens when 2 magmas are physically trying to get into the same area. You need mingling for mixing to happen, but not vice versa.

Hope this was a bit more helpful!

1. How are alkaline rocks formed?

Alkaline rocks are formed through a process called magmatism, in which molten rock (magma) rises from the Earth's mantle and solidifies. This can occur through volcanic eruptions or when magma cools and crystallizes deep beneath the Earth's surface.

2. Why are alkaline rocks enriched in alkalis?

Alkaline rocks are enriched in alkalis because they are formed from magma that has a higher concentration of alkali metals, such as potassium and sodium, than other types of magma. This can be due to the composition of the Earth's mantle or the addition of alkalis from surrounding rocks during the melting process.

3. How do alkalis become concentrated in alkaline rocks?

During the cooling and solidification of magma, certain minerals that contain alkalis, such as feldspar and mica, crystallize and become concentrated in the alkaline rocks. As the surrounding magma cools and solidifies, these minerals continue to grow and accumulate, resulting in a higher concentration of alkalis in the alkaline rocks.

4. What role do tectonic processes play in the formation of alkaline rocks?

Tectonic processes, such as plate movements and volcanic activity, can play a significant role in the formation of alkaline rocks. These processes can cause the Earth's mantle to melt and produce magma with a higher concentration of alkalis, as well as bring these alkaline-rich magmas closer to the Earth's surface where they can solidify and form alkaline rocks.

5. How do scientists study the formation of alkaline rocks?

Scientists study the formation of alkaline rocks through a variety of methods, including analyzing the chemical composition of the rocks, studying their mineralogy and texture, and examining the geological context in which they were formed. They may also conduct laboratory experiments to simulate the conditions under which alkaline rocks are formed in order to better understand the processes involved.