Looking for U. with research in Quantum Information Science and AMO

In summary, the speaker is searching for graduate schools with strong programs in quantum information science, quantum optics, or quantum computing. They are specifically interested in finding schools outside the top 20 for physics grad schools and are open to suggestions. The conversation mentions Rochester and Rice as potential options and notes that many schools have at least one person working in this field. The speaker expresses a desire to find schools with multiple researchers in this area and acknowledges difficulty in finding such schools that they have a chance of getting into.
enaj
I'm trying to find grad schools to apply to, and I'm particularly interested in universities with strong programs in quantum information science/quantum optics/quantum computing (what each university calls it seems to change depending on who's funding it). I haven't gotten my physics subject test score back yet, but I suspect it's not stellar and so I'm trying to find schools that do research in this area that aren't in the top 20 for physics grad schools.

So are there any (US) schools out there that do research in this area that aren't ivy league and/or top 20?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rochester and Rice were a couple that came to mind. I would venture to say that a majority of schools will have at least one person working in the field.

Thanks. I'll look into those. I'm hoping to find schools with more than one person, as then you're just kind of stuck working with that one person, but I've had trouble finding which schools have research in this area. At least, I've had trouble finding schools I think I actually have a chance of getting in...

1. What is Quantum Information Science and AMO?

Quantum Information Science is a field of study that focuses on understanding and utilizing the principles of quantum mechanics for information processing and communication. AMO (Atomic, Molecular, and Optical) physics is a subfield of quantum physics that deals with the behavior and manipulation of atoms, molecules, and photons.

2. Why is Quantum Information Science and AMO important?

Quantum Information Science and AMO have the potential to revolutionize the way we process and transmit information by harnessing the power of quantum mechanics. This could lead to advancements in fields such as cryptography, computing, and communication.

3. What kind of research is being done in Quantum Information Science and AMO?

There are various areas of research within Quantum Information Science and AMO, including quantum computing, quantum communication, quantum sensing, and quantum simulation. Scientists are also exploring new methods for manipulating and controlling atoms, molecules, and photons at the quantum level.

4. How does Quantum Information Science and AMO relate to other fields of science?

Quantum Information Science and AMO have connections to many other fields of science, including mathematics, computer science, engineering, and materials science. These fields are essential for developing and implementing new technologies based on quantum principles.

5. What are the potential applications of Quantum Information Science and AMO?

The potential applications of Quantum Information Science and AMO are vast and include secure communication and data storage, efficient computing, and improved precision in measurement and sensing. These advances could have a significant impact on various industries, including healthcare, finance, and national security.