What is the best plastic for injection molding with high gloss and flexibility?

In summary, when selecting plastic materials, it is important to consider factors such as intended use, environment, strength, and cost. The best type of plastic can be determined by evaluating its properties and availability. Common types of plastic used in manufacturing include polyethylene, polypropylene, polystyrene, PVC, and ABS. To ensure environmental friendliness, consider biodegradability and recyclability, or choose alternatives like bioplastics. It is not recommended to use a single type of plastic for all manufacturing needs, as different types have different properties and compatibility with intended use.
Robertcamping
Looking for a flexible plastic, equivalent to TPE shore A 50-60. Finish to be similar to ABS or PC, which mean high gloss, polish finish; that can be injection molded. Can somebody recommend a plastic resin that meet those criteria?

-robert

Engineering news on Phys.org
The Evoprene line from Alpha Gary (800-232-9741) or the Thermolast line from Kraiburg TPE (678-584-5020) would be good options based on your requirements. You can check out datasheets or search by key design properties here: www.ides.com/prospector.

1. What factors should be considered when selecting plastic materials?

When selecting plastic materials, there are several factors that should be considered. These include the intended use of the plastic, the environment it will be exposed to, the required strength and durability, as well as the cost and availability of the material.

2. How do I determine the best type of plastic for my application?

The best type of plastic for a specific application is determined by evaluating the properties of different types of plastic, such as strength, stiffness, chemical resistance, and heat resistance. Additionally, considering the cost and availability of the material can also help in determining the best type of plastic for your application.

3. What are some common types of plastic used in manufacturing?

Some common types of plastic used in manufacturing include polyethylene, polypropylene, polystyrene, PVC, and ABS. These plastics have different properties and are used in a variety of applications such as packaging, construction, and automotive industries.

4. How can I ensure that the selected plastic material is environmentally friendly?

To ensure that the selected plastic material is environmentally friendly, it is important to consider its biodegradability, recyclability, and the use of sustainable raw materials in its production. Additionally, choosing plastic alternatives such as bioplastics can also be a more environmentally friendly option.

5. Can I use a single type of plastic for all my manufacturing needs?

No, it is not recommended to use a single type of plastic for all your manufacturing needs. Different types of plastic have different properties and are suitable for different applications. It is important to carefully consider the properties and compatibility of the plastic material with the intended use before making a selection.

Back