Really stuck: Improper Integrals

In summary: To be continued.In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of improper integrals and how they are defined over intervals with infinite boundaries. The main question is whether if a function is improperly integrable over a larger interval, is it also improperly integrable over smaller intervals within that larger interval. This is noted as "evident" but the individual is having trouble proving it. They suggest that it may be related to the fact that the convergence to a limit should be independent of any rows c_n, d_n. However, there is difficulty in making this rigorous. The conversation concludes with the acknowledgement that further clarification is needed for a complete understanding.
nonequilibrium
So I've got my exam of analysis tomorrow, but there's this piece of improper integrals I just don't get... (I'll paraphrase the definition we saw into english)

So if f is not necessarily Rieman-integrable over ]a,b[ (a and b can be (negative) infinity), but for all c,d with a<c<d<b [tex]\int_c^d f[/tex] exists and the limit of this integral for [tex]c \to a, d \to b[/tex] exists independent of how you approach a and b (relatively to each other), then we call f improperly integrable over ]a,b[.

Now how can you see that if f is impr. int. over ]a,b[, that it is also impr. int. over ]a,c] and [c,b[ for a certain c in ]a,b[? It was noted in my papers as "evident", but I have no clue of how to prove it (and believe me, I've tried...). The main problem is (with the essence sketched) that with "x + y converges" given, that I have to proof x and y converge seperately. Obviously this is not true in all contextx, but apparently for integrals it is. I know it depends on the fact that in the definition you say the convergence to a limit should be independent of any rows c_n, d_n, but I don't know how to milk that...

(I see other courses sometimes define and improper integral over ]a,b[ as actually the sum of improper integrals over ]a,c] and [c,b[ and then surely it is evident, but as my course does not take that road, I'd like to be able to show it's equivalent...)

Thank you very much, I'm clueless.

Physics news on Phys.org
In minimum-speak, my problem can be noted as:

"Given g: ]a,b[ x ]a,b[ -> R and for all sequences (a_n,b_n) that converge to (a,b) is given that g converges to a certain fixed L, proof that in the case of L(x,y) = F(y) - F(x), this implies that for certain constant A,B: F(a_n) -> A, F(b_n) -> B for all sequence a_n and b_n with a_n -> a and b_n -> b"

But that maybe takes the funk out of things, but I believe that is the essence of my problem.

Essentially that says the the "improper integral"
[tex]\int_a^b f(x) dx[/tex]
is given by
[tex]\lim_{\alpha\to a^+}\int_\alpha^c f(x)dx+ \lim_{\beta\to b^-}\int_c^\beta f(x)dx[/tex]
where c can be any number strictly between a and b. By the hypothesis "for all c,d with a<c<d<b [tex]\int_c^d f(x)dx[/tex] exists", those integrals exist for all such [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] and the hypothesis "limit of this integral for exists" means that limit exists.

A simple example is the integral [tex]\int_1^\infty \frac{1}{x^2} dx[/tex]. We cannot evaluate the anti-derivative (or any function) at [itex]x= \infty[/itex] but the limit exists.

It looks like it probably is true. Take two separate cases. First let let b_n = b for all n, then the convergence of L(a_n,b) implies the convergence of F(a_n). Similarly let a_n=a for all n to get convergence for F(b_n).

HallsofIvy said:
Essentially that says the the "improper integral"
[tex]\int_a^b f(x) dx[/tex]
is given by
[tex]\lim_{\alpha\to a^+}\int_\alpha^c f(x)dx+ \lim_{\beta\to b^-}\int_c^\beta f(x)dx[/tex]
where c can be any number strictly between a and b.
Well no, that is what I want to prove, that this follows from the definition in italics in my first post (of course it's evident that it should follow, but if it's truly evident, it should be easy to prove). The statement I quoted from your post is just the thing I want to derive.

mathman said:
It looks like it probably is true. Take two separate cases. First let let b_n = b for all n, then the convergence of L(a_n,b) implies the convergence of F(a_n). Similarly let a_n=a for all n to get convergence for F(b_n).
You can't take a constant sequence, as you can see the function isn't defined on a and b (as in the case of improper integrals).

Thank you both for your time.

mr. vodka said:
So I've got my exam of analysis tomorrow, but there's this piece of improper integrals I just don't get... (I'll paraphrase the definition we saw into english)

So if f is not necessarily Rieman-integrable over ]a,b[ (a and b can be (negative) infinity), but for all c,d with a<c<d<b [tex]\int_c^d f[/tex] exists and the limit of this integral for [tex]c \to a, d \to b[/tex] exists independent of how you approach a and b (relatively to each other), then we call f improperly integrable over ]a,b[.[/I]

Now how can you see that if f is impr. int. over ]a,b[, that it is also impr. int. over ]a,c] and [c,b[ for a certain c in ]a,b[? It was noted in my papers as "evident", but I have no clue of how to prove it (and believe me, I've tried...). The main problem is (with the essence sketched) that with "x + y converges" given, that I have to proof x and y converge seperately. Obviously this is not true in all contextx, but apparently for integrals it is. I know it depends on the fact that in the definition you say the convergence to a limit should be independent of any rows c_n, d_n, but I don't know how to milk that...

(I see other courses sometimes define and improper integral over ]a,b[ as actually the sum of improper integrals over ]a,c] and [c,b[ and then surely it is evident, but as my course does not take that road, I'd like to be able to show it's equivalent...)

Thank you very much, I'm clueless.

mr. vodka said:
Well no, that is what I want to prove, that this follows from the definition in italics in my first post (of course it's evident that it should follow, but if it's truly evident, it should be easy to prove). The statement I quoted from your post is just the thing I want to derive.

You can't take a constant sequence, as you can see the function isn't defined on a and b (as in the case of improper integrals).

Thank you both for your time.

Bold added.

I think your problem is simply in making rigorous sense of the first bolded statement above.

If you do that then you wind up with precisely what HallsofIvy wrote down. So the problem is not really in finding a proof so much as clarifying the definition.

The only other wrinkle that you may be missing is demonstrating that the expression is independent of your choice of c, but that is pretty easy to show remembering that the function in question is required to be Riemann integrable over any closed subinterval of [a,b].

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where either the upper or lower limit of integration is infinite, or the integrand function is undefined at one or more points in the interval of integration. This means that the traditional methods of integration cannot be applied, and special techniques must be used to evaluate the integral.

2. How do you determine if an integral is improper?

An integral is improper if one or more of the following conditions are met: the upper or lower limit of integration is infinite, the integrand function is undefined at one or more points in the interval of integration, or the integrand function is unbounded (i.e. approaches infinity) in the interval of integration.

3. What are some techniques for evaluating improper integrals?

Some techniques for evaluating improper integrals include using limits to evaluate the integral, splitting the integral into two or more integrals, using substitution, and using integration by parts.

4. Can improper integrals have a finite value?

Yes, improper integrals can have a finite value. This is because although the traditional methods of integration cannot be applied, special techniques can be used to evaluate the integral and determine its value.

5. Why are improper integrals important in scientific research?

Improper integrals are important in scientific research because they allow us to integrate functions that would otherwise be impossible to integrate using traditional methods. They also allow us to solve real-world problems that involve infinite or undefined quantities, such as calculating areas under curves, determining the center of mass of a 3D object, and finding the probability of certain events in probability theory.