How much force can a 1000 lb electromagnet pull at 4-6 inches?

In summary, there is no way of knowing the exact strength of the magnetic field, it is a complex calculation that would involve measurements of the magnet and the object being pulled.
BrandSince85
I was inquiring about how much force will a 1000 lb pull force electromagnet pull at 4-6 inches away from the magnet

Physics news on Phys.org
The precise shape and strength of the magnetic field will depend in a complex way on the shape and materials of the magnet.

There is no way of knowing.

it is a 6 inch radius and it is cylinder shaped pulling a 4 inch cylinder shaped object

AJ Bentley said:
in a complex way

That's science-speak for 'impossibly complicated and impossible to know without doing lots and lots and lots of careful measurements and probably not even then'

A quick guesstimation, involving the simply geometric assumptions and properties, I would put the force at 4 and 6 inches at 360 lb and 250 lb respectively. Of course, as already stated, materials, configurations, etc., could be chosen to blow this out of the water.

Assuming the magnet is a sphere with a 6 inch radius, the 1000 lb force is effective at 6 inches from the magnet. Thus 4 and 6 inches from the magnet becomes 10 and 12 inches respectively. Simplest force law representation is the inverse square law, m/r^2. Since m/r^2 = 1000 where r = 6 at the magnet surface, then m = 3600. Now solve for other r. Note: this is only roughly valid in the units provided, and a slew of other assumptions about geometry and material properties. But probably good enough for many purposes.

Yea, my first thought was to attempt a simple 1/r^2 solution but I decided the likely geometry of a magnet would be flat pole pieces. The approximation to a sphere is just too wild for my taste.

I should imagine this is a ring magnet anyway. The field would be highly localised.

AJ Bentley said:
Yea, my first thought was to attempt a simple 1/r^2 solution but I decided the likely geometry of a magnet would be flat pole pieces. The approximation to a sphere is just too wild for my taste.

I should imagine this is a ring magnet anyway. The field would be highly localised.

Yes, if the magnet is flat, and the 1000 lb pull is at the flat surface, you've blown my calculation out of the water :tongue:

the magnet is 6 inch radius flat surface it has a pull force of 1000 lbs kinda shaped like a can and the object it is pulling would be on my first guess a iron core object but i am open to any suggestions i just wanted to have a good idea of how much becuase it cost a lot to buy the magnet

I think the best way to answer this question would be to do a measurement. Also, the force will depend on the material in the object being attracted to the magnet.

1. What is an electromagnet pull field?

An electromagnet pull field is a magnetic field created by an electric current. It is a force field that pulls or attracts magnetic materials towards it. The strength of the field depends on the amount of current flowing through the electromagnet.

2. How is an electromagnet pull field created?

An electromagnet pull field is created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire. The wire is usually coiled around a metal core, such as iron, which enhances the magnetic field. The direction of the magnetic field can be changed by reversing the direction of the current in the wire.

3. What are the main uses of an electromagnet pull field?

Electromagnet pull fields have a wide range of applications. They are used in electric motors, generators, speakers, MRI machines, and many other devices. They are also used in industrial settings for lifting and moving heavy objects, such as scrap metal, using cranes and other machinery.

4. How is the strength of an electromagnet pull field measured?

The strength of an electromagnet pull field is measured in units called gauss or tesla. Gauss is the most commonly used unit and is equivalent to one ten-thousandth of a tesla. The strength of the field can also be measured by the amount of force it exerts on a magnetic material, which is directly proportional to its strength.

5. How can the strength of an electromagnet pull field be increased?

The strength of an electromagnet pull field can be increased by increasing the current flowing through the coil, adding more turns to the coil, using a stronger metal core, or using a more powerful power source. Additionally, the distance between the electromagnet and the magnetic material can also affect the strength of the field, with a closer distance resulting in a stronger pull force.