Torque and segmented lever arms

In summary, the speaker explains that if the segmented arms are rigidly attached, there will be a new, shorter "virtual" lever arm from the axis to the point where the weight is hung. The speaker also mentions the need to do geometry calculations to determine the length and components of this lever arm. In this specific scenario, if the weight is freely swinging at the top, the torque can be calculated by multiplying the weight by the horizontal distance from the axis to the weight. The speaker estimates this torque to be approximately 9.5 lb-ft.
vi1e
My question is: How do you calculate torque when the lever arm is segmented? I have drawn a simple diagram to try to explain what I mean. Does the fact that the weight is now closer to the axis shorten my lever arm, or is the lever arm = D due to the fact that 10lbs is still being applied to the end of the first segment. Thanks.

Attachments

• torque.jpg
    torque.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 637
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming your segmented arms are rigidly attached - they don't rotate at the corner to the right - what you have is a new, shorter "virtual" lever arm, extending from the axis to the point where the weight is hung. You'd need to do the geometry to figure out its actual length, and what the vertical and horizontal components are. In this case, if the weight is hanging so it freely swings at the top, the resulting torque is the weight (force) times the horizontal distance from the axis to the point directly under the weight.

Scaling the drawing, I make it about 9.5 lb-ft.

Dave

Attachments

• torque2.jpg
    torque2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 574

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force that is applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque related to segmented lever arms?

Segmented lever arms refer to a lever that is made up of multiple segments, each with a different length from the pivot point. Torque is directly influenced by the length of the lever arm, so segmented lever arms can affect the amount of torque generated.

3. What is the significance of the pivot point in torque and segmented lever arms?

The pivot point, also known as the fulcrum, is the point around which a lever rotates. It is crucial in determining the amount of torque that is generated, as it can change the distance between the force and the pivot point, thus affecting the lever arm length and torque.

4. How does the angle of application affect torque in segmented lever arms?

The angle at which the force is applied to the lever arm can greatly impact the amount of torque generated. The closer the angle is to 90 degrees, the more effective the force will be in creating torque.

5. Can segmented lever arms be used to increase or decrease torque?

Yes, by changing the lengths of the individual segments, segmented lever arms can be used to either increase or decrease the amount of torque generated. This can be seen in tools such as wrenches, where the length of the handle can be adjusted to provide more or less torque.