Rectangle inscribed in Triangle

In summary, the conversation involves finding the locus of points that are the intersection of the diagonals of a rectangle inscribed in a triangle. The person asking the question has not made much progress on the problem and has attempted to solve it using complex numbers, but is unsure if the locus would be a line or not. They are seeking help on the problem.
IB1
Let PQRS be a rectangle inscribed in a triangle ABC(i.e P is in AC, Q in BC and R,S are in AB). Find the locus of points that are intersection of diagonals of the rectangle. (i.e find the locus of intersection of RQ and PS)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a homework problem!

If you would care to post where you've gotten on the problem (even if your thoughts are seemingly trivial), then maybe we could help you work through the point where you're stuck.

Hi. Well, it's not a homework problem, that's for sure. I haven't done much progress on this problem, seems quite hard. Or perhaps just my elementary geometry skills suck ? I've tried to somehow interpret this geometric problem in complex numbers' language, you know, but didn't really work as I thought. First I thought the locus should be a line, but now I doubt it. I think it's not. I may be wrong. Thank you !

1. What is a rectangle inscribed in a triangle?

A rectangle inscribed in a triangle is a rectangle that fits perfectly inside a triangle, with all four of its vertices touching the sides of the triangle. The rectangle will have two of its sides parallel to two sides of the triangle.

2. How do you find the area of a rectangle inscribed in a triangle?

The area of a rectangle inscribed in a triangle can be found by multiplying the base of the rectangle by its height. The base of the rectangle is one of the sides of the triangle, and the height is the distance from that side to the opposite vertex of the triangle.

3. What is the relationship between the areas of a rectangle inscribed in a triangle and the triangle itself?

The area of a rectangle inscribed in a triangle will always be equal to half the area of the triangle. This is known as the "half of base times height" formula, where the base and height are the same as the sides of the rectangle and triangle, respectively.

4. Can a rectangle be inscribed in any triangle?

Yes, a rectangle can be inscribed in any triangle as long as the two sides of the rectangle are parallel to two sides of the triangle. However, the size and orientation of the rectangle may vary depending on the dimensions and angles of the triangle.

5. What are some real-world applications of a rectangle inscribed in a triangle?

One real-world application of a rectangle inscribed in a triangle is in architecture and construction. It can be used to determine the dimensions and placement of a window or door within the framework of a triangular wall. It can also be applied in engineering and design, such as creating a base or support structure for a triangular-shaped object.