Improving Academic Success: Tips for Tackling Science and Engineering Courses

• Thread starter Javondo17
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Academics
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's struggles with their engineering courses and their desire to improve their grades. They ask for advice on how to study effectively and do well on exams, including suggestions such as doing practice exercises and understanding the underlying principles of the material. They also mention the importance of seeking help from professors and peers and utilizing resources such as past exams. The conversation emphasizes the need for critical thinking and constantly pushing oneself to understand the material thoroughly.
Javondo17
Okay, kind of new at this but here goes, I am currently taking a hiatus year. I left off my first year of chemical Engineering. I finished everything except for Vector Calculus. I retook differential and integral calculus, passed all of my gen chem stuff, took Newtonian physics, passed, and did material balances and stoichiometry (chemical Engineering 211), and didn't make it. I didn't fail, I got a D. I'm taking this year to recharge and figure out how I can improve. I have an inkling of what's to come, but not a true grasp of it. I don't know how the hell I got pass some of the classes I have done. I need to know how to do better. I seem to just keep throwing out effort here and there, but get little in return. I want to know how to study science, math, physics, and engineering courses, and do good in them. How do I assimilate information to do good on exams? How do people who are successful tackle these classes?

Obviously, my methodology isn't working. I use to attend class, take notes(never really did use them tried to get my information from the book), do what example problems I thought were constructive, take the exam, and get a not so pretty grade. is there anything more I can do? is there a specific methodology to tackling these classes? is there anything I can do better? I don't mind putting in the effort, I would more than love to. I would love to see the end result with good grades! I don't want to have to give up Engineering. I find it satisfying in a way. I love the aha! moments. I think I've hit a bump, maybe crashed, but I think what needs to happen is a bit of rewiring, and I'll be on my way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have access to past exams/tests?
I'd do all the exercises I could and if I lack time, I'd do the harder/more interesting ones. So that at the end, when you get to take the final exam, you have a good idea on how to tackle almost any problem. And of course in order to be able to do the maximum number of exercises, you'll need to read some theory your books and in your note and even on the Internet (this forum could help you too to solve exercises).
Now, do you think you're spending a good amount of time in your studies? Could you increase it if necessary? Maybe get rid of some distractions if you have any that are bad for your studies.

What do you tend to get points off for on exams?

Harder problems? that is sound advice, the only thing is when I do them, I tend to "get lost" my mind would think in loops, and seldom do I ever finish them alone.

Theory? what do you mean by that? how would you study theory? is it re deriving, or something I'm not picking up?

to: The Duck

mistakes, misinterpretations of the question, or just plain I don't know how to answer the question. A whole range of things really.

Last edited:
Javondo17 said:
mistakes, misinterpretations of the question, or just plain I don't know how to answer the question. A whole range of things really.

My 2c then: If you want to understand why you didn't do well on a test, I'd go through the graded test carefully. If there was a problem you didn't know how to do, why not? Go find the most similar problem or example from lectures or homework or the textbook. Did you understand that problem? And be careful: too often people can't handle anything that's not exactly like a problem they've seen before. Don't become that person. When working problems, try to internalize the underlying principles of whatever you're studying, and how they apply to various situations. Figure out how to do the test problem you missed. Work out the problem, and keep at it until you really understand it very well, and then compare your understanding to what it was before the test. What were you missing?

Everyone makes math mistakes or misreads questions sometimes, but if those are really significantly impacting your grade then the only thing for it is to work to improve your math skills or be a more careful reader.

here's my take: never take for granted anything that the lecturer says. Derive the equations again, question his assumptions, ask questions to him during the break/after the lecture, and most importantly:

Link new concepts to the older concepts. If you are doing it right (learning right that is), you should see the pieces fit together and see the big picture falling into place. If you see disjoint concepts, that's a sign of poor learning outcome. Goes without saying you should do the question sets and textbook questions.

I would dare say that's how the great ones did it- always pushing themselves, always critical in learning. That's for the "learning".

For the "scoring", I like to do every single past exam paper I can find. Usually there's a pattern in the questions. As long as I see a question I cannot solve, I will not be satisfied. If my friends cannot help me, I will find the TAs.

I'm going to go a bit broader with what was said above. Find people to work with you. I know I wouldn't have survived some classes in the past if it wasn't for fellow students or professors. Plus as already mentioned, there is the homework section of these forums that can really be helpful. As far as test are concerned, you should have covered everytype of problem the professor could possibly throw at you and have no doubt in your mind that you can solve it with no difficulty whatsoever. Also be more effective in your study, you can study hours and hours and hours in a row and gain nothing. While you could have spent maybe 2 hours studying much more effectively. Now what is effective can vary from person to person. For me, when first doing the problems I go use the book/a peer/a professor to help walk me through the problems a little bit until I feel I have an idea how it works in my head (not for every problem necessarily). Then before test time I will put myself in test type situations with those problems. I close my door, turn off everything but my light (cell phone, tv, laptop, music, etc.), close my notes and just work on problems in that manner (get a few random problems I have not looked at, past years exams, practices exams, whatever you can find). Then get either a solution guide, answer key, or even my professor to check my work. If I have done it right consistently, then I'm good to go. If I make a small error or two here or there, then I make a mental note to watch out for those. If I make the same mistake quite a few times, I let that thought dwell on me for at least a day to the point I will not be making it again. If it is litered with mistakes all over the place, then I go through those solutions carefully. Then retest myself on it, rinse, repeat.

That was a lot I know, but one important thing, you have already taken a good first step, that is asking for advice instead of just giving up on engineering altogether. I wish you good luck!

Javondo17 said:
Harder problems? that is sound advice, the only thing is when I do them, I tend to "get lost" my mind would think in loops, and seldom do I ever finish them alone.

Theory? what do you mean by that? how would you study theory? is it re deriving, or something I'm not picking up?

One thing I've experienced with harder problems is that each one of them teach you something new and by doing a lot of them you should get a deeper understanding of the material.
About theory I meant instead of memorizing random formulae that you might not even fully understand nor even know when you can apply them or not (depending for instance if they are valid in certain approximations), check out where they come from and when you can apply them. Here is an example of someone who used an equation without thinking when he could apply it: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=249322&highlight=interference.

These harder problems, would it be advisable to get help? There are some I can't figure out on my own, and when of if I do I spend a lot of time. sometimes hours. Is this natural?

Javondo17 said:
These harder problems, would it be advisable to get help? There are some I can't figure out on my own, and when of if I do I spend a lot of time. sometimes hours. Is this natural?

Yes getting help is a must. Otherwise you can not always finish the problems since you get totally stuck and you "lose" too much time. It's always better to think well a problem and try your best and if you're stuck then ask for help. Don't skip any hard or interesting (to you) problem. It's very important to learn how to solve them.
There are many problems I see and don't have a clue on how to start. I might ask help here or to some friends just to get me started. If I can continue it alone then nice, if I can't, I ask for further help.
It's nice to think on a problem for months but unfortunately you don't have much time in an undergrad curriculum (that's how I feel it, being myself an undergrad student) and thus there are a time when it's better to get assistance to solve the problem.

Javondo17 said:

I think this is natural, and helpful if during these hours your're actually understanding the subject better, when you spend hours trying to solve a problem you could be getting many ideas and developing your understanding of the concepts better and exam questions might become easier when you face something that could be solved by a tactic that you learned earlier.

Obviously you can't solve too many hard problems on your own, so see the solution for these problems, and make sure you can reproduce ot for all the variations of the problem that you can think of,, also i guess you would need to do problems from previous exams so that you know you're doing something relevant to what you might face on an exam.

Finally, study the concepts, and understand them to the point where they become integrated into the way you think,, I prefer studying from textbooks and googling what I need to, lectures are not very helpful for me,, so figure out the best resources for you..

hope this helps,, good luck

1. How can I improve my study habits for science and engineering courses?

To improve your study habits for science and engineering courses, start by creating a study schedule and sticking to it. Make sure to set aside dedicated time for each subject and don't procrastinate. It's also important to actively engage with the material by taking notes, practicing problem-solving, and seeking help when needed.

2. What are some effective ways to prepare for exams in science and engineering courses?

Some effective ways to prepare for exams in science and engineering courses include reviewing lecture notes and textbook material, completing practice problems, and creating study guides. It's also helpful to study with a group and teach the material to others, as well as getting enough rest and staying hydrated.

3. How can I stay motivated and focused while studying for science and engineering courses?

To stay motivated and focused while studying for science and engineering courses, set achievable goals and rewards for yourself. Break up studying into smaller, manageable chunks and take breaks when needed. It's also important to find a study environment that works for you and eliminate distractions.

4. What are some tips for managing time effectively in science and engineering courses?

To manage time effectively in science and engineering courses, start by prioritizing tasks and setting realistic goals. Use a planner or calendar to keep track of deadlines and assignments. It's also helpful to break down larger tasks into smaller, more manageable ones and avoid multitasking, as it can decrease productivity.

5. How can I improve my critical thinking skills in science and engineering courses?

To improve critical thinking skills in science and engineering courses, practice analyzing and evaluating information and arguments. Ask questions and seek clarification when needed, and try to think outside the box when solving problems. It's also helpful to seek feedback from professors or peers to identify areas for improvement.