What is the real part of a function like f(z)= √(z)?

• Thread starter cj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the real part of a function can be found by taking the average of the function and its complex conjugate, and in the case of a function like f(z)=√(z), the real part can be found by writing z in polar coordinates and taking the cosine of half the angle.
cj
I'm used to seeing a function like:

[tex]\textbf{f}=x+iy \text [/tex]

where

[tex]i = \sqrt{-1}[/tex]

and understanding the the real part is:

[tex]\text{Re[f]} = x = Acos\theta[/tex]

What, though, is the real part of a function like, for example,

[tex]\textbf{f}=\sqrt{x+iy}[/tex]

??

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Expand in Taylor's series, paying attention to powers of i, and separate terms with i out to get two series for the real and imaginary parts. This only works where the TS converges absolutely. Where is that?

[tex] Re(f)=\frac{f+f^*}{2}[/tex]
where [tex]f^*[/tex] is the complex-conjugate of f.

So, [tex]
\begin{align*}
Re(\sqrt{x+iy})&=\frac{(\sqrt{x+iy})+(\sqrt{x+iy})^*}{2}\\
&=\frac{\sqrt{x+iy}+\sqrt{x-iy}}{2}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Additionally, you could write [tex]x+iy[/tex] in polar coordinates.
Then, do the above.

Since it looks like you're assuming the x and y are real and using the notation x = A cos(theta), y= A sin(theta) then the answer is just,

sqrt(A) cos(theta / 2)

Last edited:
You need to be more careful in distinguishing between the "real and imaginary parts" of the variable z= x+ iy, and the "real and imaginary parts" of the function value. Most textbooks write f(z)= u+ iv so that u is the real part and v the imaginary part of f: is z= x+ iy then u(x,y) and v(x,y) are real valued functions of the real variables of x and y.

uart said:
Since it looks like you're assuming the x and y are real and using the notation x = A cos(theta), y= A sin(theta) then the answer is just,

sqrt(A) cos(theta / 2)

If I am (and I am) going to use polar forms, the
general function:

[tex]\textbf{f}=x+iy[/tex]

has the magnitude:

[tex]|\textbf{f}|=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]

with

[tex]x = Acos\theta \text{ and } y = Asin\theta[/tex]

[tex]\text{BUT, I have the form: } \textbf{f}=\sqrt{x+iy} \text{ , NOT }\textbf{f}=x+iy[/tex]

So how do I make use of

[tex]|\textbf{f}|=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]

since I don't have a function in the form of
[tex]\textbf{f}=x+iy[/tex]

??

Have you simply ignored what everyone has said?

"I don't have a function in the form of f= x+ iy" is just saying you don't have the identity function: f(z)= z.

You're not going to be able to do very much is f(z)= z is the only function you know how to work with!

Suppose f(z)= z2. Then, writing z= x+iy, f(z)= (x+ iy)2=
x2+ 2ixy+ y2(i2)= (x2- y2)+ (2xy)i.
The real part of f is x2- y2 and the imaginary part of f is 2xy.

f(z)= √(z) is a little harder just because it is harder to calculate the value. It would probably be best to write z in polar form:
z= x+iy= r(cos(θ)+ i sin(θ)). The f(z)= √(z)= r1/2(cos(θ/2)+ i sin(θ/2)). The real part of f is r1/2cos(θ/2) and the real part is r1/2sin(θ/2).

Got it -- thanks!

Although I think you meant "imaginary" rather than "real"
in the following:

HallsofIvy said:
... and the real part is r1/2sin(θ/2).

HallsofIvy said:
Have you simply ignored what everyone has said?

"I don't have a function in the form of f= x+ iy" is just saying you don't have the identity function: f(z)= z.

You're not going to be able to do very much is f(z)= z is the only function you know how to work with!

Suppose f(z)= z2. Then, writing z= x+iy, f(z)= (x+ iy)2=
x2+ 2ixy+ y2(i2)= (x2- y2)+ (2xy)i.
The real part of f is x2- y2 and the imaginary part of f is 2xy.

f(z)= √(z) is a little harder just because it is harder to calculate the value. It would probably be best to write z in polar form:
z= x+iy= r(cos(θ)+ i sin(θ)). The f(z)= √(z)= r1/2(cos(θ/2)+ i sin(θ/2)). The real part of f is r1/2cos(θ/2) and the real part is r1/2sin(θ/2).

What is the real part of a function?

The real part of a function is the portion of the function that contains only real numbers. It represents the values of the function on the real number line.

Why is the real part of a function important?

The real part of a function is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the function on the real number line. It can also help us determine the domain and range of the function.

How is the real part of a function calculated?

The real part of a function can be calculated by taking the real component of a complex number. This can be done by setting the imaginary part of the complex number equal to 0 and solving for the real part.

What is the difference between the real part and the imaginary part of a function?

The real part of a function represents the values of the function on the real number line, while the imaginary part represents the values on the imaginary number line. The imaginary part is typically denoted by the letter 'i' and is multiplied by the imaginary unit, while the real part is simply a number.

Can the real part of a function be negative?

Yes, the real part of a function can be negative. This means that the values of the function on the real number line can be negative. However, the imaginary part of a function cannot be negative, as it is always multiplied by the imaginary unit 'i' which represents the square root of -1.