Hypothetical question: Meteor hitting Earth

In summary: Thanks for the input. In summary, if a Meteor traveling at around 25,000 mph and was about 1km wide hit Nevada, it would take out the state. And the debris would travel in a certain direction due to the winds and Earth's rotation etc.
shezz150
If there was a Meteor traveling at around 25,000 mph and was about 1km wide that hit Nevada, would that take out the whole state?

And how much debris would be floating about the atmosphere? How long does that stuff block the sun out?

And also, would that debris travel in a certain direction due to the winds and Earth's rotation etc?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hmm I think that the one 65 milion years ago they "say" was faster than that (Ive heard 30k to 70k mph) and like 4km wide?? Anyways, I think it would take out the whole state and more. NV and surrounding states are real dusty and dirty too. And your right, it would travel east with the jet stream for the most part. I figure after a few days it would cover the Earth in some aspect. Who knows how long it would last tho, a few months to a few years, but that's just a guess.

Well, its a solution to global warming..

didnt take in the type of terrain in the state, hhhmmmm.

i wonder how much life would live without the sun for a year.

thanks for the reply mate.

:cool:

Surely almost all the plants will die in a 1000 mile radius from lack of sunlight, causing lots of animals and herbavores to die too.

The other thing I was thinking of is that after I posted is that if the vibration would affect the supermassive volcano under Yellowstone National Park or the San Andreas fault, a states distance in opposite directions.

Are you hoping for 2012 to end quick? lol

haha. i hadn't thought of volcanoes. i did see that in the movie 2012.
i guess that would take out the sun over the whole west coast, even one whole half of the US.
just going threw fiction sci-fi possibilities.
getting some handy notes.

1. What would happen if a meteor hit Earth?

If a large enough meteor were to hit Earth, it could have catastrophic effects on the planet. The initial impact would create a crater and cause widespread destruction in the surrounding area. The impact could also trigger earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanic eruptions. The debris and shockwaves from the impact could also cause global climate changes and potentially lead to mass extinction events.

2. How likely is it for a meteor to hit Earth?

The likelihood of a meteor hitting Earth is relatively low. NASA estimates that a meteor capable of causing significant damage to Earth only occurs once every 10,000 years. However, smaller meteors known as "fireballs" enter Earth's atmosphere more frequently, with an estimated 25 million entering every day. Luckily, most of these burn up before reaching the surface.

3. Can we predict if a meteor will hit Earth?

Yes, scientists are constantly monitoring the skies for potential meteor threats. NASA's Near-Earth Object Program tracks and predicts the trajectories of near-Earth objects, including meteors and asteroids, to determine if they pose a risk to Earth. However, predicting the exact impact location and time is still challenging, and we may only have a few days or weeks of warning before a potential impact.

4. What is being done to prevent a meteor from hitting Earth?

There are ongoing efforts to prevent a meteor from hitting Earth, such as tracking and monitoring potential threats and developing methods to deflect or destroy them. NASA has proposed the Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART) mission, which aims to test the effectiveness of using a kinetic impactor to deflect an asteroid away from Earth. Other methods being explored include using nuclear bombs or solar sails to redirect or destroy incoming meteors.

5. What would be the best course of action if a meteor was heading towards Earth?

If a meteor was heading towards Earth, the best course of action would depend on the size and location of the impact. In some cases, evacuation or seeking shelter in underground bunkers may be necessary. In others, attempts to deflect or destroy the meteor may be the best option. It is important for governments and space agencies to have emergency plans and protocols in place for such scenarios.