Coordinate Systems Homework: Prove \nabla.\vec{r}=3

In summary, the cartesian, cylindrical, spherical coordinate system produces a different formula for the gradient, divergence and curl.
shyta

Homework Statement

For the cartesian, cylindrical, spherical coordinate system,
prove that
[itex]\nabla[/itex].[itex]\vec{r}[/itex] = 3 and [itex]\nabla[/itex]x[itex]\vec{r}[/itex]=0

Homework Equations

For cylindrical coord system,

[itex]\vec{r}[/itex] = s[itex]\vec{s}[/itex] + z[itex]\vec{z}[/itex]

[itex]\nabla[/itex] = [itex]\vec{s}[/itex] [itex]\delta[/itex]/[itex]\delta[/itex]s + [itex]\vec{\varphi}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{\varphi}[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex]/[itex]\delta[/itex][itex]\varphi[/itex] + [itex]\vec{z}[/itex] [itex]\delta[/itex]/[itex]\delta[/itex]z

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi guys, I managed to do the cartesian coord part, but I'm having trouble with the cylindrical/spherical parts. Using these 2 equations I tried to do a dot product but I'm getting a 2 instead. What am I doing wrongly here?
Please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ops, I meant the cross of r. (edited that, thanks for pointing out) I'm pretty sure the gradient formula is correct as checked on the wiki link you gave. Do you mean my r vector is wrong? [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] = s[itex]\vec{s}[/itex] + z[itex]\vec{z}[/itex]

Well I looked through my workings and I'm quite sure I got that right as well. Perhaps you could be more specific?

Thanks i like serena!

The formula for divergence in cylindrical coordinates is:
[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec A =
{1 \over s}{\partial \left( s A_s \right) \over \partial s}
+ {1 \over s}{\partial A_\phi \over \partial \phi}
+ {\partial A_z \over \partial z}[/tex]
As you can see this does not match what you have.

In your case this becomes:
[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec r =
{1 \over s}{\partial \left( s \cdot s \right) \over \partial s}
+ {\partial z \over \partial z}[/tex]

Hmmmmm okay I can see how that would give me the correct answer.. But still I am a little confused about this formula on wiki because in my textbook, the gradient in cylindrical coordinates formula is as the one I stated above. In particular,

I like Serena said:
[tex]
{1 \over s}{\partial \left( s A_s \right) \over \partial s}
[/tex]

vs just [tex]
{\partial \left( A_s \right) \over \partial s}
[/tex]

Thanks for the replies!

On the same wiki page you can see that you have the formula for gradient in cylindrical coordinates almost right.
Except for you putting a phi, where there should be an "s".

Note that the formulas for gradient, divergence and curl are not trivial in cylindrical or spherical coordinates.
It takes some work to derive these formulas.
Are they not in your textbook?

ohh! I got it! omg lol thanks alot!

1. What is the purpose of proving \nabla.\vec{r}=3 in coordinate systems homework?

The purpose of proving \nabla.\vec{r}=3 in coordinate systems homework is to demonstrate an understanding of vector calculus and coordinate systems. This equation shows the relationship between the gradient operator and the position vector in three-dimensional space.

2. How do I approach proving \nabla.\vec{r}=3 in coordinate systems homework?

To prove \nabla.\vec{r}=3, you can start by reviewing the definition of the gradient operator and the properties of dot products. Then, you can use the coordinate system given in the homework to express the position vector in terms of the coordinates and apply the dot product operation to prove the equation.

3. What does \nabla.\vec{r}=3 represent in coordinate systems homework?

\nabla.\vec{r}=3 represents the magnitude of the position vector in three-dimensional space. It shows that the position vector has a constant magnitude of 3 in the given coordinate system.

4. Are there any special cases where \nabla.\vec{r}=3 may not hold true in coordinate systems?

Yes, there are special cases where \nabla.\vec{r}=3 may not hold true in coordinate systems. For example, if the coordinate system is not orthogonal or if the position vector is not defined in terms of the coordinates, the equation may not hold true.

5. How can proving \nabla.\vec{r}=3 be applied in real-world scenarios?

Proving \nabla.\vec{r}=3 in coordinate systems homework may have real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It can be used to calculate the gradient of a scalar field, which is important in understanding the behavior of physical systems and creating visual representations of data.